UKC

Ullswater way- for walkers only??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 27 Oct 2017
Hello
Just saw signs for this today whilst on a walk and is it for walkers only?
Or anyone done it on a bike?
Thanks
Avi
 John Kettle 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Avinash Aujayeb:

It's about 50% footpath. Bascially the SE side of the Lake is legally rideable except for Hallin Fell: It's bridleway from Patterdale to Sandwick (by Hallin Fell) then footpath round Hallin Fell to Howtown. From the Church at the top of the Howtown zig-zags you can take bridleway to Pooley Bridge. All of that side is good riding. Quite technical between Patterdale and Howtown, and busy with walkers on weekends. To make an interesting (and legal) loop of it, return over Boredale Hause or Beda Fell from Howtown, or up over High Street if you're feeling more energetic.
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 27 Oct 2017
In reply to John Kettle:

Cheers.
 duchessofmalfi 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Avinash Aujayeb:

I've ridden Pooley Bridge - > Oatterdale via Highstreet and the Cockpit Stone circle, Howtown and Placefell, the last bits alongside the lake before you go over the fell were "technical" (read carry bike for much of the way). I've done it several times with different variations including getting the ferry back from one end of the lake t'other to avoid the loop back on the road. The 2nd half is quite tough compared with the first half.
 Rick Graham 27 Oct 2017
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

My favourite way for High Street id anticlockwise from Hartsop.

Technical return by lakeshore, a bigger problem on this can be the number of walkers rather than a few over rocky bits, or I prefer back over Boredale Hause, less tarmac that way as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...