UKC

V brakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brendan H 12 Aug 2017
So long story short, I got a bike for $30 from Cash converters and am in the process of overhauling it.
Today I changed the headset bearings and front wheel bearings, starting feels great, wheel turns great, but the front brakes are buggered. They were the only thing that actually worked when I bought it so not sure what Iv done.
The callipers are now uneven and one break block is no longer aligned with the rim. Have I reassembled the axle wrong? ( I only undid one locknut/hub to avaid this)
Jim C 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Brendan H:

You Tube it.
 annieman 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Brendan H:

One possibility is that you have replaced the axle from the opposite side. There may have been an offset i the original set up. If you replaced the axle from the other side then you have moved the offset.

Good luck
Jim C 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Brendan H:
I take it you have also double checked that the replaced wheel was sitting perfectly square on the dropouts before you tightened and the distance between the forks at the top is even/ centred ?
( Out of interest were they cartridge or cup and cone bearings that you replaced , and did you get exact replacements?)
Post edited at 17:38
 LastBoyScout 12 Aug 2017
In reply to Brendan H:

Turn the wheel round and see if it lines up then - probably badly dished.
OP Brendan H 13 Aug 2017
In reply to annieman:

I may have put it in from the wrong side, il take it apart again when I get home
OP Brendan H 13 Aug 2017
In reply to Jim C: cup and cone, replaced with loose bearings too

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...