UKC

Wheel noise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 26 Apr 2022

Front wheel making a clicking noise as it goes round when under pressure (when cycling, no noise when I just lift bike and spin the wheel).

Have checked all the spokes and they all seem fine, correct tension (well, judging by hand), have checked the qr skewer and it seems fine.

I have faffed with the tightness of the qr release skewer and it seems to make no difference to the clicking of the wheel.

Any other ideas?

Yanis Nayu 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

Have you unpegged the playing card?

gethin_allen 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

Something stuck in or on the tyre?

OP subtle 26 Apr 2022
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Something stuck in or on the tyre?

I've checked that, and the brake pads and disc, cant see anything and no noise when I just lift wheel off the ground and spin it - under pressure (of slight me actually cycling) the clicking noise returns.

Yanis Nayu 26 Apr 2022
In reply to gethin_allen:

I’d go for that too. I’ve had the same and took me an age to find the culprit 

BenedictIEP 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

Is there any side to side play in the hub? could be wheel bearings. 

GrahamD 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

Last time I had wheel click, it was the valve in the hole in the rim.  A turn of PVC tape round the valve to make it a tighter fit in the rim cured it.

LastBoyScout 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

Do you have a different wheel you can try?

Removed User 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

You sure it's not your knees?

nniff 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

A mystery click is often the seat post.....

If clearly the wheel, then the valve as above, or a burr on an alloy rim (a rub with a bit of emery paper will fix that), but the latter tends to be an annoying tick-tick under braking

ASharpe 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

Tightening the wheel skewers fixed that for me once. After I’d tried a lot of other things first…

Dave Cundy 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

I had this once, on my Miche wheels.  Took me months to find the cause.  Some spokes were touching where they crossed, so they were rubbing once per rev.  When dirty, they clicked.  Once cleaned and a dab of oil applied.... silence!

ThunderCat 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

It's not the handlebars is it? I picked up a clicking noise which I was convinced was the front wheel but when I had a mate ride along side he did it was coming from the post where the handle bars meet the top of the forks.

From my position above them I naturally assumed it was the wheel

Strachan 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

Not a click but a really persistent creak from my front wheel (which went to the shop repeatedly for truing to no avail) turned out to be easily resolved by adding a dab of grease to each dropout to lube the QR-dropout interface, so that could be worth a try as a potential low-effort solution.

Timmd 26 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

I'd put some light lube on each point where the spokes cross, and and see if anything changes after wiggling them a little to work the lube into place.

I've literally had the same issue with a back wheel, and it was two spokes 'clicking together' with each revolution. It drove me nuts, I can't work out what solved it in the end, I might have just tuned out the noise?

A catastrophe hasn't happened since, so there's that to keep in mind.

Post edited at 22:30
In reply to subtle:

Spokes touching the speedo sensor?

GrahamD 27 Apr 2022
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I remember as a kid with a paper round deliberately fitting something to hit the front spokes to make a clicky noise.

Cobra_Head 27 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

Does it click at the same point in the wheels travel?

Yanis Nayu 27 Apr 2022
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Just on the corner of Acacia Avenue, near No26. 

Cobra_Head 27 Apr 2022
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Just on the corner of Acacia Avenue, near No26. 

She's well know for squeaking!!

Timmd 30 Apr 2022
In reply to subtle:

Did you get the root of the noise? A part of my mind now doesn't like not knowing the answer.

Post edited at 17:08
OP subtle 01 May 2022
In reply to Timmd:

> Did you get the root of the noise? A part of my mind now doesn't like not knowing the answer.

Not yet - the current train of thought is that it’s the brake disc hitting on the pads - other bike with disc brakes has a through axle as opposed to QR so can’t even swap wheels to try (progress is great isn’t it)

Will change brake pads and see if that stops the annoying click - have found though that when off road the clicking noise is not so apparent as drowned out by other noises - perhaps I should just ride off road at all times

Yanis Nayu 01 May 2022
In reply to subtle:

Or turn the radio up. 

Timmd 01 May 2022
In reply to subtle:

I'd maybe take the disc off instead, so you don't have 'Did I put the pads in correctly?' as a thought.

ianstevens 01 May 2022
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> Spokes touching the speedo sensor?

Serious Q: anyone still use these??

Basemetal 01 May 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

Oh yes... CatEye Quick. Wireless, but still has a sensor and a spoke mounted magnet. Battery life in years.

Timmd 01 May 2022
In reply to subtle:

> Not yet - the current train of thought is that it’s the brake disc hitting on the pads - other bike with disc brakes has a through axle as opposed to QR so can’t even swap wheels to try (progress is great isn’t it)

> Will change brake pads and see if that stops the annoying click - have found though that when off road the clicking noise is not so apparent as drowned out by other noises - perhaps I should just ride off road at all times

That's exactly the thought I had, re disc rotor rubbing, when it turned out to be 2 spokes rubbing against one another. I think for me, my chain jumping off the biggest cog and gouging the relevant spokes solved things in the end, through them being replaced so they didn't fail at some point...

Post edited at 21:28
In reply to ianstevens:

> Serious Q: anyone still use these??

Only if you want accurate av. speeds and timings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...