UKC

Which indoor training bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Anthony Hirst 03 May 2020

Hi, 

I would like advice on which indoor training bike to buy. I am hoping to start cycling as an alternative to running. I wont be cycling outdoors and I am not looking for an online group connection. Something with all the usual measuring functions would be good. Thanks in anticipation.

Tony Hirst

JLS 03 May 2020
In reply to Anthony Hirst:

Watt bike? Not my thing but I understood these were supposed to be good...

https://wattbike.com/gb/product/atom

webbo 03 May 2020

Would you not be better getting a road bike and a turbo trainer, the you can ride the bike outside.

petemeads 03 May 2020

I have a Wattbike Pro - the Atom mentioned earlier allows smart training, group connection etc but you don't need that. The Pro can cover a huge range of power, costs topside of 2 grand and is fairly noisy. Very stable and indestructible, though, and accurate to a percent or so. Slightly basic control panel but self-contained, you can store ride data on a memory stick and download it via a PC. Supposedly a hundred data points per revolution... Probably overkill in your case, but it does feel like a real bike.

SebCa 03 May 2020

I have the Wattbike trainer...

Pros, its always set up, its accurate as they come, it turns me inside out in 30 min, ive never been fitter on the bike, i upgraded the saddle to the comfy one and that was a good shout. It links to zwift, garmin, trainer road etc etc...

Cons, cost and space it takes up....

That said it being set up is a huge + as the whole turbo thing was a nightmare for me having to swap wheels and get all the settings right etc. This I just jump on and go. I know my measurements so if the wife or kids want to have a go they can. Yes they are expensive but ive had mine about 3-4 years now and still use it a few times a week if im looking after the children or its raining outside. Not quite rule 5...but cuts down on the colds!

Roadrunner6 03 May 2020
In reply to webbo:

> Would you not be better getting a road bike and a turbo trainer, the you can ride the bike outside.

I'd go with this, greater flexibility.

I bought a cheap spin bike just because its quieter and safer (I hope) around young kids. I can just wheel it out of the closet and get a ride in and its very quiet. There's just less chance of kids fingers snapping off too..

Dark-Cloud 04 May 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Totally the right thing to do, you could kit yourself up for around £1K for a bike and direct drive trainer and have something to go to the shops on.

Post edited at 09:39

You should probably start by looking at the current availability of different products. Watt Bikes are saying eight to ten week lead times for the Atom. Lots of turbo trainers out of stock at Wiggle. 

OP Anthony Hirst 04 May 2020

Hi out here,

thanks for all the replies.

Tony.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...