UKC

Whyte bikes - and why you should buy one

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 08 Sep 2021

Posting this here as I know a fair few people on here cycle too ... and if I signed up for a bike forum and started waxing lyrical everyone would probably assume it's spam.

I have a Whyte road bike (whyte suffolk to be precise), which is excellent and has been a lovely bike to ride. I've used it for road cycling and overnight/lightweight touring. 

Anyway, I fitted a child seat to the bike and crushed the frame (in fairness i followed the seat torque values). The bike seat manufacturer suggested I contacted Whyte. I contacted them, not to making a complaint but completely owning my mistake and only asked if the suggested torque of 8nm is an unreasonable amount of force to apply to their seat tubes so I can reply to the bike seat manufacturer. 

They immediately offered me a completely free replacement frame. Amazing. Literally never even dreamt of this as an outcome. They are a British company and make excellent bikes which is enough reason on it's own but I was blown away by their customer support. Every email was immediately answered by a human. I'm definitely going to buy another Whyte bike and if you're in the market for a new bike, I couldn't recommend them more highly! 

https://whyte.bike/

Post edited at 11:28
 balmybaldwin 08 Sep 2021
In reply to Kemics:

A friend of mine had a Whyte MTB (carbon odd looking thing, can't remember the name), can't remember how, but he broke it.  Instantly offered a replacement, but had to wait for shipping so they leant him a bike. Very impressed.

They also took William Storey to court and whipped his ass for nicking their logo

LastBoyScout 08 Sep 2021
In reply to Kemics:

I have a Whyte Portobello (mk1) as my local errand bike and it's been brilliant - bought originally to put my daughter's bike seat on, as it happens.

My only niggle is that it doesn't have the clearance to put a wider tyre on it, but the newer version does.

Rear rear hub needs replacing, but I think that's down to previous owner not looking after it terribly well - I've got one, but haven't got round to swapping it, as they've changed the flange size and I'd need a load of new spokes.

Couple of my mates have got Whyte MTBs and love them.

In reply to Kemics:

I had a Whyte mountain bike for a couple of years. The guy who designed the original Whyte and the Marin, Jon Whyte, used to live 5 miles from me in Winchcombe.  So did Liz Hurley but that's another story Whyte have just released a new electric mountain bike that looks good and gets rave reviews. IMO they are some of the best bikes on the market.

Al

Post edited at 16:28
 Denning76 08 Sep 2021
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> They also took William Storey to court and whipped his ass for nicking their logo

Isn't the owner/founder ex-Formula 1? Of all the guys Storey could have nicked a logo from...

balmybaldwin 08 Sep 2021
In reply to Denning76:

He's a con man that somehow got involved with Haas Formula 1 team as a sponsor with his "Rich Energy" brand.  The whole thing was a ridiculous farce... no one has ever seen these energy drinks for sale, but a few rare examples have changed hands on ebay.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/27221746/the-bizarre-haas-rich-energy-...

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=b4cbaa1a-e8dd-4a83-bb47-ec63...

Denning76 08 Sep 2021
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Oh I know about Storey and the whole Haas farce. I was referring to the guy who started Whyte.

balmybaldwin 08 Sep 2021
In reply to Denning76:

Oh, I see what you mean...

Just looked him up... Seems Derrick Farrant was an Ex Moto GP, Manx GP (Senior winner)and IOMTT rider.... 2nd in TT 350cc class 1954

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...