UKC

Winter bike/Cyclocross Frameset - What to pick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 05 Jun 2017
Jiggling the bike collection around and have decided it's time to build up a proper winter road bike, looking for a frame that will also be up to an occasional off-road spin in the woods. Would like to keep the weight down, so thinking cyclocross rather than the currently trendy gravel bike option.

Have most of the parts sorted, but need a frameset. Definitely going to be using disc brakes, want the option of fitting mudguards so bosses are preferable although p-clips a possibility. Normal (135mm) dropouts required to fit in with other bikes that are already in the shed, don't like having loads of incompatible wheels.

Max budget is £400, happy to go second hand but bewildering choice on ebay. Any recommendations based on the requirements above?
 Siward 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Sam W:

My winter bike is a Ribble 853 frame, which is tough and can (with some fettling) take mudguards. Limited to 25c tyres though and would require a different fork for discs.

Query- can discs ever be fitted to frames with a one inch steerer though?
 nniff 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Best I can suggest is a Kinesis 5T Disc, but that's £500 including the fork. THey have as few 5T in stock, but that's large only, standard brakes and without a fork for £280
 nniff 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Sam W:

PS You could also see what Aprire have - I can't look at their website at the moment - our firewall's having one of its ferocious moments.
OP Sam W 05 Jun 2017
In reply to nniff:

The Crosslight looks like a good option, I've set up a saved search on ebay. The Aprire Inverno AR is well within budget, have you ridden one? Reviews are hard to find, but generally seem to think they're good value
 nniff 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Generally well thought of, and a bit niche - which always appeals to me. Also happen to be local to me. For my money, anyone with the know-how and confidence to set themselves up as a UK-based carbon frame maker has got to be able to manage a decent alloy frame too.
 LG-Mark 05 Jun 2017
In reply to Sam W:

You should be able to find a Ridley X-Bow frameset within budget.
Ridley are superb - made their name in Cyclocross, but make awesome road frames too..
OP Sam W 05 Jun 2017
In reply to LG-Mark:

Looks like a good option too, another saved search on ebay set up.
 Michael-H 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Sam W:

How about either a Planet X XLA frameset, or their London Rd frameset, Both look a good bet for the money.
 Casa Alfredino 06 Jun 2017
In reply to Sam W: I have a Cotic Escapade which is 300 odd quid, steel frame. Its not the lightest but it will handle pretty much anything and is a rwally fun ride. I bang on about it a lot, but it really is the most fun bike ive owned.

OP Sam W 07 Jun 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Thanks for all the suggestions, keeping an eye on ebay but the suggested new options from the likes of Planet X also look promising.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...