UKC

Winter in the Peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adrian Bates 26 Dec 2017
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good MTB route in the Peak District for the Winter time? Looking for something with not too much mud. I guess it also needs to be not too long with the shortness of day light right now.

Thanks all,
Adrian
 alx 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Adrian Bates:

Derwent Edge seems to be really popular right now, I think you may be a bit optimistic not wanting mud this time of year though. Even the reservoir circular route has its muddy patches up by the very top of Holden.
 Chris the Tall 26 Dec 2017

Go to the Vertebrate Graphics web site and download the Kinder all weather loop. Then buy their dark peak guide and look up the routes around ladybower - stuff like the beast, potato alley, lockerbrooke and the s-bends are all fine in mud. I would avoid cutgate, winstone lee tor and derwent edge.
 olddirtydoggy 26 Dec 2017
There is a path from Thornhill over the back of win hill, eventually crossing the snake pass to finish just above fairholmes. Great route. An extension over the bottom of Derwent edge via Stanage to Redmires will take the route to 40 miles if you can manage it.
Post edited at 23:49
 Hopevalleypaul 27 Dec 2017

My go to winter route is hathersage, Stanage causeway, stanage pole, past redmires reservoirs (a loop of rivelin dams if time allows), roads around to lady cannings plantation, a lap of two of the two tracks there, Houndkirk moor to the foxhouse, up burbage valley/green drive and then back down callow bank (if its not too wet) into Hathersage via the scotsmans pack. (pub stops optional). Takes 2-3 hours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...