UKC

Winter MTB shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So for warmer weather I've been using knackered old trail running shoes on my flat pedals - no rigidity but great grip when getting off the bike and carrying it on 'unrideable' bits, and otherwise would have gone in the recycling.

But they have a lot of ventilation and my feet are freezing now, even with decent socks. I presume the neoprene 'booties' that you have for road biking are useless on MTBs?

Any recommendations for cheap shoes that are warm enough for Winter riding, but also have good grip in the mud & on rocks?

Thanks
Starkey92 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: ive seen some people wearing those neoprene boot things at Llandgela, but tbh they look bare naf! Have you had a look at the Shimano flat shoes? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55370 Im told they can be found for around 50 quid if you hunt around
 Chris the Tall 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
I get neoprene overshoes from Decathlon - only about £12 and although they do wear out at the toes quite quickly I doubt whether more expensive alternatives would be any better

I've also got a pair of Northwave Celcius boots, but find them quite uncomfortable in comparison to my usual shoes (Specialized Tahoe)
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Nick Smith - UKC)
> I get neoprene overshoes from Decathlon - only about £12 and although they do wear out at the toes quite quickly I doubt whether more expensive alternatives would be any better

Aren't they really slippy in mud if they cover the studs, and/or get torn to shreds when you walk over rocks/roots with them on?
 Steph Duits 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: If you are using flats then I'd go for a pair of Gore-Tex walking boots - mate of mine guides 5 days a week in a pair of leather Karrimor boots and never seems to get cold feet.

I use SPDs so use those Shimano Gore-Tex walking boot type things - look crap but work bril with decent socks...
 quirky 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: i use planet x neoprene overshoes, 10 quid a pop and they are great, i dont want waterproof (as my feet will sweat) so these are just the job, they dont cover the grips as they grip on the sides and under the arch area of the shoe. Not bothered what they look like as i ride my bike all year round and being comfortable is what counts! besides nothing looks worse than someone at a trail centre on 3k worth of bike in full body armour riding like a pussy!! ;-P
 TobyA 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: If you don't want to wear spds, then surely some light hiking boots would be the way to go? Anyway, my experiences of cold feet and riding in some tedious detail! http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2012/10/trail-riding-and-avoiding-cold...
Banj 05 Dec 2012
In reply to TobyA: I do my winter MTBing in Ecco receptor hiking boots (over merino blend socks) waterproof and warm. I've had them for years and if they ever died, I'd probably go for a generic replacement, they don't do much walking.
geologist 05 Dec 2012

Nick - You can get mtb specific neoprene over boots, Ive got some made by endura, that are still going strong after 2 years of riding 3 times a week in the winter. My riding is mainly DH based XC, so I do alot of pushing and walking. Combined with goretex sock, it seems to do the job
 Mike Redmayne 05 Dec 2012

I didn't get on well with neoprene overshoes on the mountain bike: they can get clogged with mud. Two pairs of sealskin socks inside my normal SPD shoes is the best I've done to cope with the cold and wet. When not so cold one pair with light socks inside works well.
 Brass Nipples 05 Dec 2012

Sometimes cold feet can because you have too thick a pair of socks on. Counter intuitive I know. In the winter it is easy to cram some thick walking socks in your cycling shoes and find your feet are still cold. This is because your circulation to the feet is getting cut off. So maybe try a thinner pair of socks with a silk inner sock? In winter I wear a pair of cycling shoes one size bigger than summer ones. Then I have thicker socks but no so thick my shoes are tight on my feet. You could also try loosening off your shoes a bit if they are very tight.
 Mattyk 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: seal skinz socks. theymay get wet but your feet stay pretty warm.
 cousin nick 05 Dec 2012

Mostly get by with thin wool inners and sealskinz socks, though I'm not a great fan of the latter since both pairs that I've owned have leaked badly after very limited use.

For sub-zero I switch to flats and hiking boots (Brasher Hillmasters) and thick wool socks. Toasty! Winter 2009/10 was the last time I did this, but had the more fundamental problem that the cassette iced up so much that the chain instantly derailled if I changed gear (only the cog that I was using stayed ice-free).
You can end up walking/pushing/carrying the bike much more in snow and ice, so hiking boots are not quite so daft as they look.

Most of all though - have fun!
 dollydog 05 Dec 2012
In reply to cousin nick: i use goretex(for waterproofing) trainers,with gaiters.which will clip in to your shoe laces.dry them out with newspaper when wet internally:perfect
 David86 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: fivetens all year round those neoprene things are for roadies!
 Chris the Tall 06 Dec 2012
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> [...]
>
> Aren't they really slippy in mud if they cover the studs,

no, as they only cover the toe part of the sole.

> and/or get torn to shreds when you walk over rocks/roots with them on?

Yes, they only tend to last one winter, but the trick is to ride the bike, not walk it

Oh, and Sealskinz socks are good too, but make sure you don't dry them out on the radiator
 Chris the Tall 06 Dec 2012
Ps Parkwood springs tomorrow lunchtime

I'll be hungover so you'll have no problem keeping up with me
 ChrisJD 06 Dec 2012
In reply to David86:

> (In reply to Nick Smith - UKC) fivetens all year round those neoprene things are for roadies!

Yep, same approach for me as well. Five tens seem to soak up water which helps insulate the feet like a wetsuit

One of or riding mates (a roadie) came out in those overshoe things and got ribbed mercilessly

I also wear neoprene shin pads, which help keep the lower leg warm (and help with the feet warmth)

In reply to quirky:
> (In reply to Nick Smith - UKC) i use planet x neoprene overshoes, 10 quid a pop and they are great, i dont want waterproof (as my feet will sweat) so these are just the job, they dont cover the grips as they grip on the sides and under the arch area of the shoe. Not bothered what they look like as i ride my bike all year round and being comfortable is what counts!

Thanks, I'll try that solution. £15 at the moment though!
 quirky 06 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: They have quite a lot of sales on but did get mine when it was warmer in anticipation! Had not used them at all until this year and i must say i am impressed, always thought blocks of ice for the feet went with the territory. I wear them on road and mtb and have used them in some pretty atrocious conditions off road, they are a great bit of kit, other makes available and look as good, shop around! Now if only i could sort my hands out!!
 LastBoyScout 06 Dec 2012

I use SPDs and Diadora Chilli Sport boots - seem to work fine.
 quirky 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: sale on planet x. Overshoe bundle for 20 quid!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...