UKC

Womens winter training bikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 24 Jun 2013
Any recommendations for a womens specific road bike that will take proper mudguards?

Cheers.
 balmybaldwin 24 Jun 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Would be amazed if ribble didn't do something along the audax lines for women
OP DaveHK 24 Jun 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I don't think Ribble do any womens specific bikes.
Rigid Raider 24 Jun 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Check Specialized Ruby.
 JLS 24 Jun 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

A Ruby and a Ribble! Oh, dear. What to get the woman who has everything?
 Liam M 25 Jun 2013
In reply to DaveHK: I believe Trek do a women's variant of the Domane, and if the low end one has the same features as the men's will fit full mudguards.
 alisonk 25 Jun 2013
In reply to DaveHK: Iva got a Cannondale Synapse which takes full mudguards and is the same geometry as my Scott Contessa. I found it better to work out the geometry I needed then look at the bikes ignoring if for women or not as I have spare saddles and most good bike shops will swap the stem for a smaller one. I change the spacing on the brakes myself to make the reach easier. Doing this means a I get a much better range of bikes to choose from.
 RBK 25 Jun 2013
In reply to DaveHK: I'm not sure if there's a specific version but plenty of women seem to get on with the Kinesis bikes.
OP DaveHK 25 Jun 2013
In reply to alisonk:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr) I found it better to work out the geometry I needed then look at the bikes ignoring if for women or not

We tried this and found that pretty much every small mens road bike had too long a reach for the current Ms Kerr.
 sleavesley 25 Jun 2013
In reply to DaveHK: wait for the next Ms Kerr and ensure she has longer arms!
 sleavesley 25 Jun 2013
In reply to sleavesley: in seriousness if you have a frame with 4mm clearance have a look at these http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer
OP DaveHK 25 Jun 2013
In reply to sleavesley:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr) wait for the next Ms Kerr and ensure she has longer arms!

But then she'll be able to hit me with the rolling pin and my reach advantage will be nullified.

mike123 25 Jun 2013
In reply to DaveHK: mrs 123 has absolutly no brand alligance (unlike me)and tried loads of road bikes both mens and womens before finding that womens cube she got (2 years ago)fit her best. nice spec for the price as well.
 Liam M 25 Jun 2013
In reply to sleavesley:
> (In reply to sleavesley) in seriousness if you have a frame with 4mm clearance have a look at these http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer

I discovered by a thwarted attempt to fit them that they don't work on smaller frames. I had a small Dawes Giro and found that the size of the rear triangle was too small for the minimum distance between the fixing points on the guard. Attaching it at the top of the seat stays put the other end well below the chain stays and barely off the ground.

I eventually went for race blades, but they are an arse to keep secure. I think getting a bike that will fit some chromoplastics and having a shop fight with getting them on is the best bet for full mudguards.
 JLS 26 Jun 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

>"pretty much every small mens road bike had too long a reach"

Just have the stem pointing backwards. She's a woman, she'll not know any better. Women don't really notice that sort of stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...