UKC

/ Zwift - Strava

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bjartur i Sumarhus on 09 Mar 2018

Does anyone actually cycle outside anymore? My Strava feed is full of annoying pictures of a crap looking 16bit cycling computer game. 

I know the weather has been a bit iffy, but why buy all that essential winter gear if your just going to sit indoors playing a cycling game? 

Also, to people who Strava everything. I'm not interested in a round of golf or your dog walk, or the 1km jog home from the gym at virtually walking pace or the data sparse indoor row where it looks like you just typed in what you did for reference as there is no other info.

I want maps of runs and rides done outside that show you are pushing it and make me feel like I have to up my game and get out more myself. 

Thx for reading, rant over

yorkshireman - on 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I pretty much always take a photo on every Strava run that I log to at least add a bit of interest for followers. I'm with you on not logging dog walks etc. That's 'life' not 'exercise/training'. 

There should be a way to exclude people's cycle commutes as even though they're outdoors they get a bit repetitive.

I bought a treadmill over the winter for the rare occasions I can't really get out which I admit is a bit boring, but its just a necessity from time to time. If you think Zwift cycling is boring, I think the treadmill running option is coming out of beta soon.

This morning's outing - couple of photos with my dog in it - what's not to like

https://www.strava.com/activities/1443570321

andyfallsoff - on 09 Mar 2018

I still do! More outside than in, but indoors is more effective training. I should take more pics though, I always regret not doing so but stopping, taking gloves off etc to get phone out always seems too much faff...

Not with you on not recording everything though, it's nice to be working towards a yearly total!

In reply to andyfallsoff:

I must be the weirdo, I only share something that's outside and involved actually moving. All my gym sessions on a bike or running machine don't get posted because I just don't see what's remotely interesting about them to share (accepting that even my actual runs and rides are hardly interesting).

I like looking at the routes on the maps and agree photos are always a bonus, and if the weather is shyte that's even more kudos

abr1966 - on 09 Mar 2018

> Does anyone actually cycle outside anymore? 

I ride.....outside!! What is this Zwift - Strava, is it something to do with 'beta', 'send', 'biners!?

I have been to an indoor climbing wall once in my 37 years of climbing and still use my vertige axes! I propose myself as in the top 10% of UKC forums 'old school'!

BattyMilk - on 09 Mar 2018

I'm one of those who shares their Zwift workouts on Strava and I get a benefit of seeing my friends' Zwift workouts too. To me, it serves exactly the same purpose as showing off the outdoor rides and it's good to be able to tally my weekly volume at a glance.

I live in London so Zwift offers me the opportunity to get a quick (1hr - very targeted) training session in on the bike. To get the equivalent outside (in London at least) I'd have to be out for at least 2+ hours with all the start and stop/pedestrian/traffic dodging. Not to mention it's safer and I save more time each end of the ride by not having to put on/take off as much kit.

I'm currently training for the same big race as one of my friends and if I see he has put a big session or workout in on Zwift, it motivates me to get off my arse and do a bigger one.

yorkshireman - on 09 Mar 2018

> I like looking at the routes on the maps and agree photos are always a bonus, and if the weather is shyte that's even more kudos

I guess it depends on whether you see it a social tool or a training tool.

I do all my training planning (ATP with key races, blocks of periodisation, recovery etc) with TrainingPeaks because it lets you work on a training stress score (a bit like suffer score but without the macho overtones) and not just target mileage. Since I run hilly, offroad routes then distance isn't always a good target to aim for - rather its about work effort.

Training (including indoor) get synced from Garmin to TrainingPeaks and Strava. In TP it allows me to reconcile against my target TSS for the week. In Strava I can see what routes I've done and how many KMs I'm on for the year, or see friends and other competitors in the same races..

If Strava had the planning and analysis options of TP, or TP had the social element of Strava I'd only use one tool.

mbh - on 09 Mar 2018

I don't cycle, but I run quite often and log everything on Strava. I am not normally targeting any particular event, but do target what are for me challenging ascent and mileage totals over a week and a year. Thus I would put anything on Strava that contributed to those, even if they were not interesting to others. I'd certainly include treadmill stuff or track sessions if I did any. 

Strava has become for me, and I suspect for many, the place where they store their record of all that they have done, so it is bound to include things that won't interest everyone, and for me it is useful, or at least interesting to get a complete picture of what someone else does. If they only gave me their highlights (hmm - maybe they do) it wouldn't be so helpful in gauging my own activity.

It is pouring down right now, here. If I had a treadmill with Zwift, I'd probably use it. that said, I like giving people maps of where I have been, and I like looking at others' photos, routes and numbers. 

In reply to yorkshireman:

your right, I guess i am just not interested in my friends gym work outs. dog walks and golf rounds.

Personally, as a runner I am interested in my friends real runs or rides outside in the elements. Less so, some fictional race in central london where the computer picture is inexplicably of a county lane and the bike wheel glows like a light saber ;-)

In reply to mbh:

Agree, It's a great app and I log all my runs on Strava.  maybe I just need to stop following people

The New NickB - on 09 Mar 2018

I tend to think of Strava as for recording rather than sharing. I know it’s both, but the latter is less important to me.

subtle on 09 Mar 2018

> Does anyone actually cycle outside anymore? My Strava feed is full of annoying pictures of a crap looking 16bit cycling computer game. 

> Also, to people who Strava everything. I'm not interested in a round of golf or your dog walk, or the 1km jog home from the gym at virtually walking pace or the data sparse indoor row where it looks like you just typed in what you did for reference as there is no other info.

I'm 100% with you - rotating pedals whilst playing a computer game isn't cycling, same as sliding back and forwards whilst pulling a rope in a gym isn't rowing, or pounding a treadmill isn't running - or pulling plastic isn't climbing!

Tall Clare - on 09 Mar 2018
In reply to subtle:

They're all means to an end though, aren't they? Your post has just got me thinking about pool swimming - to extend your comparison, is that really swimming?

mbh - on 09 Mar 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

The sharing thing is actually very motivational for me. Numbers help but they can hurt when they don't look so good. When I just used Excel to record stuff, I found that I could get into a self-reinforcing downward spiral if I took the gas off for a few days.

Now, if I feel slack, like right now, having not yet gone out today,  I know that Jonny , or Sarah, or whoever else it is that I follow, will likely have gone out and I want to be able to show off about what I have done. It's a pull, definitely.

In reply to mbh:

Agree. And I think that's where I get slightly irked when my friends share stuff that I don't view as acceptably inspiring .

(Please don't take me too seriously on this thread...i'm meaning for it to be a bit light hearted)

In reply to Tall Clare:

If you stop and you drown...it's swimming in my book

subtle on 09 Mar 2018

> If you stop and you drown...it's swimming in my book

Agreed.

Hmm, I just looked at the UKC Strava Club - forgot it even existed. I need to get out more.

nniff - on 09 Mar 2018

No Zwift or rollers for me - I've got a one hour circuit that will turn me inside out if I push hard.  If it's raining, Rule 5 and Rule 9, and take the bike with mudguards and disc brakes (and extra heft).

I record commuting, but that's 20 miles each way and I flag it as a commute.  It's rarely a high average speed, but it's a killer because of the luggage and all of the stop/start.

I have a friend who does a 25 mile each way commute, but he pauses it and records it as one ride, which I think is cheating.  He did do 10,000 miles last year, so who am I to criticise.

Dog walking doesn't count, and I feel guilty logging a errand-running four mile ride, but I need to keep my annual total going (which is going to drop drastically as my commute is going to be completely different henceforth)

One thing that flummoxes me about Strava is when activity is automatically linked to show up on Facebook so you see that someone's gone for a run round their local industrial estate at lunchtime. Just like yesterday. And the day before. I do like it when people share their activities when there's something a bit more notable, like an epic ride or a personal challenge overcome or something like that. Still prefer photographs

subtle on 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

Exactly - but then there is the option to not go on Facebook, or, if you do, defriend these vacuous "athletes" 

In reply to subtle:

I'm a Facebook user for all sorts of reasons, and my friends are my friends, regardless of what they post (fortunately they seem to think the same about me) so I tend to shrug and scroll on by, much like they must do when I post the latest fascinating picture of one of my pets.

The New NickB - on 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

I don’t get this either, although very few of the people I know do this, it tends to be ocassional runners or cyclists, not the ones training every day or multiple times a day. My Facebook feed would be nearly all orange if they all did it.

In reply to The New NickB:

My husband used to share the strava record of his longer runs or rides, but now he tends to share a photograph from some point on the route, with a bit of commentary. His phone seems to 'ping' with the strava kudos notifications which suggests the people most likely to be interested are seeing it on strava anyway.

summo on 09 Mar 2018

I neither share nor follow anyone on Strava. It's purely a means of measuring distance and average speed. Although I do keep a separate written diary of actual training distance, time, rest heart rate....

Perhaps i should share, it would look impressive as I use it to track my cross country skiing in winter. It seems to think I've set numerous pbs on long glides downhill. 

I think in today's culture there is a danger of over sharing. Thankfully it's blockable. 

Post edited at 16:22
girlymonkey - on 09 Mar 2018

Just because you aren't interested in someone's ride or run, doesn't mean they shouldn't log it!! It can be useful to keep track of what you have been up to. I personally don't follow anyone on it, and the handful of people who follow me will currently be very bored by my slow jogs as I recover from an adducter injury. If they choose to follow me, then they choose to be bored by my strava! I find it useful to track my runs to see how my pace is doing and keep track of when I am increasing distances and I can compare to pre-injury runs and see my progress.

In reply to girlymonkey:

You are out there running, that's my kinda athlete. I don't think I would have any issues with your feed.

mbh - on 09 Mar 2018

Motivated by this conversation, having earlier in the day backed off, I've just gone out and run 5 miles in the rain! And logged it on Strava, of course.

Yanis Nayu - on 09 Mar 2018
In reply to BattyMilk:

Nothing could persuade me to live in London, for that reason. 

girlymonkey - on 09 Mar 2018

But my point is that people don't record their activity for your benefit, but for their own. If you aren't interested, don't follow them! People don't run or cycle to please you, they do it for themselves and if recording that is helpful to them, then that's fine!

My latest 'run' was 0.9km in 7 minutes and it was in the housing estate, hardly an athlete or an interesting feed to anyone except me!!

The other one that makes me laugh is one friend gets upset that my husband and I (when I can actually run) record our canicross times on Strava. He feels it's cheating. Strava doesn't have an option to define it as canicross rather than running, and for us it is just a way of keeping track of what we have been doing. 

Just enjoy your own running or cycling and let others enjoy theirs!!

Dave B on 09 Mar 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

There is no option for prone paddle board either. So I have to record it as SUP... And then rename it as prone in the title in case people think I've gone unfit... 

;-)

bouldery bits - on 09 Mar 2018

I don't use Strava to tell other people stuff. I use Strava to record what I'm doing for me.

If you don't like it, don't follow me.

Brass Nipples on 09 Mar 2018

I have Strava set to private by default.  If a ride is less than 5 hours why bother sharing it?

Dave B on 09 Mar 2018
Yanis Nayu - on 09 Mar 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

I actually find the kudos-giving thing on Strava a bit weird. 

In reply to girlymonkey:

You dont think people post activities for others “benefit” ?

Oh you are so naive!

;-)

bouldery bits - on 10 Mar 2018

Actually, I also use it for the beacon function so that Mrs BB knows where I am.

Tall Clare - on 10 Mar 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

I really like that function - greatly reduces my worry when Mr TC goes out on his bicycle.

mav - on 12 Mar 2018

I'm with you on the idea of being able to hide types of activities on your feed, and I speak as someone who clogs up my friends feed with my daily cycle commute. I'm logging miles to my total, they shouldn't need to see it if they don't want. (imagine what a deliveroo rider's feed looks like).

Top strava upgrade wishes for me are: select activities you see in your feed; more info on swimming (my watch knows my lengths, strokes, times); and every run to allow to see fastest splits not just those where you get a top 3 split.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.