UKC

Anybody else had a loud pop, from the knee while climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
masshuu 07 Jan 2018
Hi,

This morning I woke around 4am in pain and couldn't really sleep due to pain from there on.

The pain is in, around my knee, it's now difficult to walk, straighten my knee, lots of general pain.

It happened as I was attempting a bouldering route yesterday, and as I manoeuvred my body around, trying to twist under my hands on an overhang. There was a loud POP, audible over the music and other climbers, but no obvious pain. I was about done and ready to get some dinner, did some finger/campus/bar workout and left.

So today I'm in pain. It might be ligament damage. Have you heard of this happening?

cheers,
matt
cb294 07 Jan 2018
In reply to masshuu:

ACL rupture can sound like a gun shot (I know from experience....), but ligaments are surprisingly hard to tear statically. I have seen it happen in Judo ground work, but that involves much higher forces.

If I had to guess (!!!) from your brief description meniscus damage would sound more likely, especially if you injured yourself while dropping your knee. Does your knee lock in any position?

Of course it could also be a harmless capsule problem, the plague, or ebola, who can tell online? Get yourself diagnosed properly!

CB

alx 07 Jan 2018
In reply to masshuu:

Could be absolutely anything, you have my sympathy! I would recommend going to get this checked out by medical professionals to rule out something nasty like a meniscus tear.

Failing that, from a recent google search and using my extensive Wikipedia based education I conclude that you have a rare form of megacolon caused by a long term undiagnosed schistosomiasis infection. This was probably picked up by using rental shoes or borrowing other peoples chalk. In the spirit of the forums I would suggest a homeopathic treatment involving dilutions made from the offending overhang where you sustained your injury.

Good luck sorting it out.
 maybe_si 07 Jan 2018
In reply to masshuu:

Meniscus tear is possible, I had it in both knees from bouldering/big rock overs/drop knees. Each time involved an mri then repair via arthroscopy. I would recommend heading to your GP asap to get a referral for an mri, get the ball rolling.
 DerwentDiluted 07 Jan 2018
In reply to masshuu:
I don't want to put you on a massive downer, but;
One thing to bear in the back of your mind, hopefully to be banished by a diagnosis, is OCD. Mrs D had not dissimilar symtoms in August, a week after a great trip to the Alps, and it took a senior knee surgeon to look at her MRI imaging and diagnose Osteochondritus Dissecans (OCD). This is the big daddy of all knee problems and makes you write to Santa for a meniscus tear. It is really unpleasant, the bone at the end of the femur dies and the stressed areas can shear off with repeated microtrauma, so it manifests itself in the sporty and active (she ran 3 to 5 times per week for 30 years) which makes it particularly cruel.

She had an operation to pin the detached piece back with 5 screws, but it does not seem to have worked. She hasn't walked unaided by crutches since and faces another op to graft bone onto the fracture. Climbing and walking in the hills are unlikely to happen anytime soon, though long term there seems to be hope that it is possible.

Thats the bad news, we were told by everyone from A&E upwards that it was probably a meniscus tear and spent several weeks making it worse on that basis. The good news is that this is very rare condition, you have an approx 20 in 100,000 chance of it being you. Outcomes are improved by rapid diagnosis and surgery, which is why I post this, if you are this unfortunate, the clock is ticking and the detached fragment is dying.
Post edited at 19:18
 Dark-Cloud 07 Jan 2018
In reply to masshuu:

Is this another one of those weird first post threads that seem to be popping up a lot lately which get loads of advice and the OP never appears again ?
 alx 07 Jan 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I hope not. UKC is trawled by many lurkers whom for many reasons either never join up or never post.
 Dark-Cloud 07 Jan 2018
In reply to alx:

Hmmmm, I suspect it is, first post, strange wording and phrasing, no subsequent reply from OP, I may be wrong......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...