UKC

Aviemore bouldering wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ySoCereal 11 Jul 2019

Burnside Bouldering Wall#overview

Has anyone been to the aviemore bouldering wall recently, is it accessible, good condition?

I'm new to climbing, I have a pair of shoes and that's it and keen to go out and get some experience. There is a local guy that is doing MCI practise and has offered to take me out for some proper climbing tuition, but I need to get my car fixed first, as he wants to go to Polldubh near Fort William. 

So until I get that sorted, this bouldering wall is like 20min walk from my house. 

But I have no idea about routes on the wall, proper technique etc and I'm terribly anti social so don't know anyone else. But hopefully that can change with time. 

If there is any locals that fancy meeting up and showing me the ropes that'd be awesome.

Cheers

Post edited at 20:06
 David55 12 Jul 2019
In reply to ySoCereal:

I have  never been  there, as I live in Bolton.  Don't be scared, take your rock shoes and go there. There will be staff to give you guidance,  and  people to meet.  Leave your phone at home, talk to  people and smile.

ySoCereal 12 Jul 2019
In reply to David55:

Appreciate it David. But it's just a rock in the woods, check the link at the start of the post. It's just called the Burnside (area of Aviemore) bouldering wall. 

dunnyg 12 Jul 2019
In reply to ySoCereal:

From the description, sounds like it can be a bit midgy in summer, I'd say if it is only 20 minutes away it would be worth going to have a look on your own. There is a traverse there, which is usually a good option if going solo, which means you just start at one side and climb sideways until you run out of rock! I'd take a tea towel for your feet, it is much easier if you don't have mud on your shoes, and remember to just be aware what you will land on if you slip off. If you don't like the look of it, you've only lost 40 minutes, and you will know what it is like for the future. 

Hopefully a local will come along and have more specific info.

ySoCereal 12 Jul 2019
In reply to dunnyg:

Yeah I'll take a wander over this weekend. Midgies are not an issue, I've grown up in the highlands, I'm used to them. Ticks on the other hand I hate! Vile wee things.. and as you say I've a feeling it might be overgrown with bracken and the likes. 

Will check it out anyway. 

Barry Harper 13 Jul 2019
In reply to ySoCereal:

It's a wee bit hard to find, maybe more so this time of year. It's generally pretty clean and worth a trip. it is fairly high so a crash mat is recommended.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...