UKC

Best Font guide?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Obi Wan 14 Jan 2018

Just booked a family holiday to font but will be doing some climbing whilst there.

Had a look online for a guide book but can't decide which to get. Any recommendations?

I do already have the purple baton wicks one from around 17 years ago (the last and only time I went) but fancy a more up to date guide.

remus Global Crag Moderator 14 Jan 2018
In reply to Obi Wan:

Depends who you ask. A lot of people rate the jingo wobbly guides but personally I dont get on with them, more of a 5+6 man myself. Essential fontainebleau is also very good, though very selective.

OP Obi Wan 14 Jan 2018
In reply to remus:

Yeah those are the 2 main guides I could find on the web and I was torn between the 2.

In reply to Obi Wan:

The purple Baton Wicks Guide has been replaced by a more recent white edition which is very good and recommended. Good coverage of the area and a good spread of grade circuits. Some decent stuff in there also to get you away from the crowds.

The 5&6 is the gold standard but maybe not for families, and Jingo Wobbly for Font is no better or worse than it’s guides for other areas, enough said....

Si dH 14 Jan 2018
In reply to Obi Wan:

I definitely think 5+6 or 7+8 are the best guides if you sit in one of those grade ranges. If you sit across the two it's tricky as they are pretty expensive so buying both would be a big outlay.

Essential Fontainebleau is quite good for getting some inspiration from a cheap/lightweight book. The directions and maps are really poor though. I think JW is probably better. 

OP Obi Wan 14 Jan 2018
In reply to Si dH:

The 5+6 be seems to be either hard to get hold of it mighty expensive.

Will be staying in millet la foret so probably climbing round that side and being a family holiday won't be every day. Probably be climbing in the V3 range so in French money I guess 5-6? But with a few easier probs for the kids.

Don't want an overly complicated guide. One with topos and route descriptions though would be good.

Si dH 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Obi Wan:

In that case I'd recommend jw or a circuit guide so you have problems for the kids too. I'd buy 5+6 if you went back on your own for a whole week's climbing.

OP Obi Wan 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Si dH:

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks everyone. Jingo it is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...