UKC

Best yorkshire bouldering guide?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jono.r23 27 Sep 2017
Hi all, been starting to explore north of the Peak and discovered a couple of nice spots with random online topos. Anyone used the Total Climbing guides? Any good?
 petegunn 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Jono.r23:
I have both vol 1 & 2. The topos are clear and well set out. Good easy to use location maps etc.

Well worth getting vol 2 for the more remote wild places i.e Barden Fell (Lord's/Simon Seat)
and Barden Moor (Crookrise etc.)

In vol 1, they have sparingly used, a single star rating for the stand out problems (I don't think they used any in vol 2).
so its left to you to find out the quality ones (or do some research before heading out).
Post edited at 11:42
 afx22 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Jono.r23:

I strongly prefer the 2012 Yorkshire Gritstone Guides (2 volumes, with Trad climbs too). They cover loads of venues, are well made, easy to navigate and the info is good. I'd love to see a single, combined, updated, more definitive bouldering guide produced from this.

I sometimes take out the 2008 Cameron Duff guide. This has drawings rather than photos (which I prefer). I covers limited venues but it has loads more climbs than all of the other guides, so it's great for finding new stuff at venues that I go to a lot (such as Almscliff).

I also have the two Total Climbing Guides. These are ok, especially volume 1, but there a few things I'm not keen on. Printing is poor so detail is lost in some of the photos. There are a few mistakes here and there. The emphasis is often on hard climbing - above my ability.

It's great that we have so much choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...