UKC

Bouldering in Cornwall (St Austell)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blyth001 11 May 2015
I'm heading down to Cornwall at the weekend and i think im allowed to boulder for a afternoon, aside from Hartland Quay which looks amazing but it a small trek away is there any other worthwhile spots to hit up, ideally boulders over 7a?
Any help would be grand!!!
 fire_munki 11 May 2015
In reply to blyth001:

Pop on to rusty peg and get tom lasts luxullian guide. Supposed to be good.
 Tom Last 11 May 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Thanks fire_munki

To the OP: It's true, Luxulyan is by far the nearest bouldering, trad and sport to St Austell, just on the outskirts of town. However the developed bouldering tends to top out at 7A rather than start there, so might not be for you.

Closest granite bouldering at V6 & up is Helman Tor with a couple V6s, 7s and 8s each and a V9. For harder stuff, head to the north coast as you seem aware. Hopefully someone else can advise you. Hartland is miles and miles away however.

HTH,
Tom
SanchoPascoe 12 May 2015
In reply to blyth001:

My vote goes with Helman Tor a bit of a odd place to find if your not used to the back lanes but a good selection of problems. just watch the weather
 oakapple 12 May 2015
In reply to blyth001:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=12254 Tintagel Super bloc highest concentration of +7's. Went there for the first time last week and it is very good just sharp!!
 oakapple 12 May 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Helman is great and my favoriate local spot, but as the weather is warming up, it is going to eat skin on the harder problems, best to go in the morning for the south and west facing stuff (lower bloc arete, greyface etc) and the evening for north and east (cave stuff, bodmin queen etc)

Have fun
 Tom Last 12 May 2015
In reply to oakapple:

Good shout Oakapple.

Took me 5 years to do Grey Face, bloody thing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...