UKC

Bouldering in on near Worcester... for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AndyP_UK 05 Mar 2019

Hi,

I live near Worcester with two kids; 6 and 8 years old. They go along to a local climbing wall a couple of times a month and are happy both top roping and 'experimenting' on the bouldering wall. I'm keen to get them outside to get a feel for real rock; specifically I want them to figure out how to move up the rock without pre-prescribed instructions; getting them thinking and playing in a broader context than just 'grab the yellow holds'.

Does anyone know of any local(ish) boulders or quiet climbing areas in or around Worcestershire? I'm not looking for top quality routes or problems... just somewhere the kids can experiment and develop their outdoor skills (have a play basically!).

Thanks, AP

OP AndyP_UK 07 Mar 2019
In reply to AndyP_UK:

I'm guessing the lack of responses to my original post indicates that kid-friendly bouldering in or around Worcester(shire) is sub-optimal bordering non-existent. Not one to give up and as per the original post: are there any kid-friendly areas to boulder in the provinces bordering Worcestershire; namely Herefordshire and Shropshire? Quality is not the priority... I'm looking for somewhere that is not a million miles away that the kids can use to get a feel for climbing outside.

Regards, AP

Post edited at 19:25
In reply to AndyP_UK:

Having been raised in Worcestershire and with two young nippers myself I’d say you’re going to struggle in the Worcester locality. Off the top of my head I can’t think of one place close to Worcester where I would take my kids climbing. Ironically, the best place close by I ever took my kids was Grosmont castle in Monmouthshire, they loved climbing there!

in terms of good quality, kid friendly rock: nesscliffe or grinshill by Shrewsbury would be my recommendation. Nesscliffe has loads of great, hard climbing but if you go past kynastons there is a wall with some nice big holds, an interesting crack and most importantly a flat landing/ picnic area. It’s probably about 2 hours from Worcester mind you, so you could just as well get on the m5 and bosh it up to the peak in the same time, but it’s a less pleasant drive.

other stuff: haresfield quarry down past Gloucester, probably about an hour from Worcester, again a really nice family friendly crag with lots of easy traverses/ little up problems and some harder problems too (a 6b traverse and 7a wall problem). It’s also a quick walk from the car park, generally sheltered from the wind and a bit of a sun trap too.

i hope this has been of some help. 

OP AndyP_UK 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Wyre Forest Illuminati:

Thanks Tom, great help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...