UKC

Bouldering in Yosemite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mark_spark86 28 Mar 2017
Hello!
I'm going to be visiting Yosemite this summer, but just for the day unfortunately. I want to get a few good boulder problems in while I'm there so looking for a good guidebook that is recommended?
Any thoughts would be amazing!
Thanks,
Mark
 Otis 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Mark_spark86:

Have you been to Yosemite before? If not, feel free to ignore or take on board as appropriate

I went to Yosemite last year (on a non-climbing trip). The place is utterly, stupendously, fabulously and ridiculously magnificent. It's just stunning and is full of some of the most amazing views and walks you'll find anywhere. Assuming you've not been before, you might find that climbing a teeny bit of rock might be the last thing you want to do when you actually get there. With one day in the park, I'd recommend getting your tourist had on and try and see as much of it as you can - go for a world class hike, drive around a couple of the viewpoints, or simply stand in the bottom of the valley with your mouth wide open.

I'm sure a bit of climbing would be fun, but if I had only one day in Yosemite I personally wouldn't chose to boulder.

Having said that, if you've already done the sights before, then I hope you enjoy ticking off a few problems

https://www.cordee.co.uk/Yosemite-Valley-Bouldering-det-0-0-0-197.html?sear...

... readily available in most good independent climbing shops...
 Shapeshifter 28 Mar 2017
As Otis says you'd be better doing a hike etc, but if you really want to get some climbing done the Camp 4 boulders are fairly close to the touristy stuff, as is the Tenaya Lake boulders up at Tuolomne. Good swimming in the lake after bouldering by the way!
Mark_spark86 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Otis:

Thanks for the advise, I had thought of that too. yes, it will be my first time going there. hopefully not my last! but being in such an amazing climbing mecca, i thought i should see if there is a boulder of two that i can have a quick go on!

Cant wait to see the valley, very excited
Mark_spark86 30 Mar 2017
In reply to Richard Wheeldon:

Thanks, this is the book someone else recommended also. just waiting for in the post now!
 Otis 30 Mar 2017

You won't be disappointed-it's an amazing place. There's loads of info out there on the web on walks etc, but feel free to drop me a message - happy to pass on a couple of tourist tips on walks if useful.
 alx 30 Mar 2017

Midnight Lightning....
 Murcantile 31 Mar 2017

Loads of bouldering of top quality in the valley!

But prepare for crazy amount of American tourists did my head in!

Go to bishop 3.5 hrs away for bouldering or even better mammoth top quality granite bouldering if you can't stand how busy it is!

Mark_spark86 01 Apr 2017
In reply to Murcantile:

ah ok, can understand why that'd get annoying. But I'm only there for the day so don't have more time to explore surrounding areas!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...