UKC

Bouldering near Newcastle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Corner 11 Mar 2020

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a bouldering spot within public transport distance of Newcastle. As the weather is getting better I want to climb outside but don't have my own transport while I am at Uni. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SteveSBlake 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Tom Corner:

There is urban bouldering in Jesmond Dean, it's in the guide but is way past it's best. There are some small coastal bouldering sites along the coast between Tynemouth and Whitley Bay, and some up at Newbiggen, these aren't in the guide - go and explore. 

Busses run to Belsay from Newcastle then it's a bit of a hike to Shaftoe. You can get a bus to Rothbury, from where it's not far to several sites.....

But, this is what your Uni and local clubs are good for, unless you have an aversion to company or cars?

Steve

Lemony 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Tom Corner:

As Steve says, Newcastle's not a great city for public transport accessible climbing. It's probably an exaggeration but I'd not be that surprised if the quickest major crag to get to was Shipley Glen or Caley.

On the flipside, there's lots of good ways to find lift-shares through Facebook and there's plenty of clubs around.

edit: Google maps suggests and hour and a half to Shaftoe vs two hours to Shipley glen or Simonside so it was an exaggeration.

Post edited at 12:31
 Russell Lovett 11 Mar 2020
In reply to Tom Corner:

If your making a day of it the Berwick bus to Belford then a 1 hour walk or thumb out to Bowden. Berwick bus to Fenwick the a 1 hour walk or thumb out to either kyloe or Kyloe in. Before i had a car i used to do both regulaly. Best thing in my oppinion though would be to join the uni climbing club of the Northumberland Mountainerring Club, im sure both are great for lifts and meets.

JDal 12 Mar 2020
In reply to Tom Corner:

This bus will take you to Housesteads, Queens Crag is about 3 miles from there. Closer if the bus stops at Sewingshields. https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/ad122/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...