UKC

Bouldering trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mctommyd 27 Feb 2019

Hello,

Can you please recommend some bouldering trousers.Ive been up at Brimham  in Shorts and my knees have taken a few scrapes.

No to sure where to start as I can’t find any dedicated shops in the area where I can look at a few different options

cheers

RobertHepburn 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Mctommyd:

I go for berghaus ortler 2.0 trouser - light, stretchy, hard-wearing, adjustable ankles that can be tightened so you can see your feet, and then loosened again for comfort, zip pocket for keys etc.

No sold for bouldering but do a good job anyway .

R

P.S. I did pommel at Brimham using a "technical knee", so I know what you mean ... 

Post edited at 14:06
 dh73 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Mctommyd:

Jeans

ALF_BELF 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Mctommyd:

I wear some M&S slacks. Can go for a pint after without looking like a day-glo clown. Garish climbing trousers are my pet peeve. Makes everyone look a total c*nt

MarkAstley 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Mctommyd:

try here

Out and About,

18 Bower Road

Harrogate HG1 5BW

01423 561592

RX-78 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Mctommyd:

A pair of ronhills will do fine! 

RX-78 27 Feb 2019
In reply to ALF_BELF:

Oh, I love garish outdoor gear! Hate all the boring brown/black/grey stuff.

deepsoup 27 Feb 2019
In reply to dh73:

> Jeans

Further to this.. 

These are particularly good:  https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-comfort-jeans-blue-id_8386823.html

I have several pairs and absolutely love them.  V stretchy and cut so they don't restrict your movement at all, and since you mention bouldering they even have a pocket for a brush.  (A wooden Lapis brush fits perfectly.)

plyometrics 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Mctommyd:

Go to TK Maxx. 

Hit the jeans / chino rail and grab yourself a bargain.

You can top up on scented candles and some nearly out of date crisps whilst you’re there. 

ChrisBrooke 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Mctommyd:

It would be helpful to know your area....as a shop would be ideal. For what it's worth I think it's pretty useful to try on before you buy, although in these days of internet shopping and sending things back I guess it's not a big deal. I only say that because I have trouble finding trousers to fit. I've got quite big thighs but quite a small waist, so cool modern slim cut jeans-type bouldering trousers are way too tight, even with a lot of stretch. I've ended up in a pair of £12 decathlon tracksuit trousers for most things, and although I don't look as cool as most boulderists, they're cheap, stretchy, close around the ankle so I can see my feet....I love them.

I am wearing them out at the knees though, because I'm rubbish...

deepsoup 27 Feb 2019
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> I've got quite big thighs but quite a small waist, so cool modern slim cut jeans-type bouldering trousers are way too tight, even with a lot of stretch.

Next time you're in Decathlon it could be worth having a look at those jeans I linked to above.  They fit me pretty well and I have similar problems - often as not when I try a pair of jeans/trousers on, if I can get my thighs and my arse in them they need a pair of braces and a hula-hoop instead of a belt. 

Not that there's anything wrong with trackie bottoms for climbing in mind, and they're a lot cheaper if you're going to end up trashing them anyway.

Flinticus 27 Feb 2019
In reply to Mctommyd:

Moon pants.

Great for bouldering, hiking and everyday use. Also good for hot weather.

LJ2606 28 Feb 2019
In reply to Mctommyd:

I use and love Alpkit Kraft trousers. Tthey are a sort of hybrid jean/canvas affair with plenty of stretch are are proving to be pretty durable. Check them out - https://www.alpkit.com/products/kraft-mens-canvas-trousers

Mctommyd 04 Mar 2019

well I went today with some jeans that have some stretch and to be honest they were fine.I have such poor flexibility I don’t think it would make any difference what I was wearing.

thanks for the responses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...