UKC

Boulding venue in England near Campsite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 unicycleboy 22 Dec 2016
Hi,

The forecast looks like it might be okay for after xmas so I want to get out for a bit bouldering. I'm looking for a good venue to head to, ideally with a good amount to go at in the low grades (V0-V3) with a campsite within walking distance, is there anywhere ideally suited to this?

Ideally something on grit as I've never climbed on it before, was thinking of the Peak but the normally recommendation for this is North Lees campsite which doesn't appear to be open in the week during the winter. Any other options in the Peak? Or any opportunities for this type of thing on yorkshire grit?

Thanks
Andrew
 Pkrynicki1984 22 Dec 2016
In reply to unicycleboy:

Can't imagine the campsite below Hen cloud been closed? I could be wrong though.

Phone number for the farm that runs the site is 01538 300419

Loads of great bouldering close by at numerous crags (Roaches , Hen Cloud , Ramshaw , Newstones/Baldstones etc)
 deacondeacon 22 Dec 2016
In reply to unicycleboy:
Eric Byne campsite is right next to Gardoms (although probably isn't great in the easier grades.

I'll probably get lynched for saying this but you'll be fine wild camping at any of the crags as long as you're discrete and pack away every morning/Leave no rubbish/ don't have a fire/ don't camp anywhere near any houses/ go off the beaten track for a poopoo.

spenser 22 Dec 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

Eric Byne is quite possibly the worst campsite I've ever stayed at!
The bouldering at Birchen's on the three ships isn't bad for a day.
Thorpe Farm has a bunkhouse where I believe you can book individual beds or there is camping there, the walk up to Stanage shouldn't be too arduous from there.
 deacondeacon 22 Dec 2016
In reply to spenser:

> Eric Byne is quite possibly the worst campsite I've ever stayed at!

oh I like it. Admittedly it's very basic but the walk in puts the scummers off, it's a great spot and it has some amazing harder bouldering a stones throw away.
 spenser 22 Dec 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

My opinion may have been coloured by a particularly grim level of midginess when I stayed there a couple of years ago!
OP unicycleboy 23 Dec 2016
In reply to unicycleboy:

Thanks for the ideas one below hen cloud and Eric Byne look pretty similar and basic, I'll have a look at the guidebooks and see where would be best.

Should have mentioned ideally I'd like to be camping in the van but I'm not against bringing out the tent. But looks like if I want a campsite where I can take a van I'll have to forgo the being able to easily walk to the crag part.
In reply to unicycleboy:

How about Fisherground, Eskdale. Near Fisherground campsite!
 Kevster 23 Dec 2016
In reply to unicycleboy:

I assume you have a car to get to the campsite?
Not really walking to the crag, but the pub near the slipstones is a mile or two away and it allows camping in the rear. I have no idea if it's open, but knowing publicans....
I think it's called the Swan.

Slipstones is a great crag, but best if you're in the low font 6s. I believe higher is fine too, but never made it that good when I was nearby.

Might be a rave at millstone or ilkely over Xmas? A little bit left field, but who actually needs sleep?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...