UKC

Bowland Knotts bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 15 May 2009
Is there bouldering at Bowland Knotts or at any other locations at the northern end of the Bowland Fells?
 Enty 15 May 2009
In reply to Removed UserJeremy Ashcroft:

I have a friend who can find a classic problem on 3 foot of Grit anywhere. he had a good walk round there and he said the Knotts were a tad short.

Enty
Removed User 15 May 2009
In reply to Removed UserJeremy Ashcroft: There must be some up there, I am over six foot ant there are loads of bits of rock twice my height!

There's a few scattered problems on Clougha etc, but to be honest you're better going to Thorn.
In reply to bentley's biceps:

Just realised where you mean, but the same still applies
 Lankyman 16 May 2009
In reply to Removed UserJeremy Ashcroft: I've been to the Knotts and they are a bit limited. There is a "real" crag about a mile along the ridge in the opposite direction - Cold Stones Crag which is in the Lancs guide (and on UKC). Here is some stuff that Tom Phillips and friends developed a bit ago http://www.w-o-w.com/climbing/yorkshire-bouldering/Birchow_Rocks_Topo.html I've walked past it and it seems pleasant enough although I haven't put hand to rock there. I recall there is a small grit quarry close to Giggleswick School (the big domed building - can't miss it) I was shown years ago that was quite entertaining and I've never seen that in print anywhere. Closer to Lancaster there is the mighty Baines Crag (GR SD 543617). Lots of problems if you use your imagination and the small crag near the big carpark has some neat little problems around the obvious arete. Happy hunting! Karl
Removed User 16 May 2009
In reply to Karl Lunt: Thanks Karl, think I will take a walk up there this afternoon. I have climbed at Cold Stones and there some entertaining routes there. Its my back garden so to speak and I just want to find somewhere to nip to in the evening. Will have a route round and report back.
 Lankyman 16 May 2009
In reply to Removed UserJeremy Ashcroft: you must have a big back garden! If you don't mind a walk (and heading out to Cold Stones suggests you don't) then you might consider this little "gem" that I visited in 1999 during a walk: Crag Stones (GR SD 696475 on the Bowland OL41 map). It's visible from Newton village and looks a bit like Higgar Tor - that's why I went but looks can be deceptive! At the time there was a permissive route to it from the farm/house of Ashnott just north but these have a habit of being deleted after a few years. I did about 10 problems/lines from 4b to 5c on two separate blocks, details may appear in the next Lancs guide? If you aren't expecting a lot it won't disappoint - let me know if you want details. Karl
 Enty 16 May 2009

Go check out the rocks just above and east of Gisburn forest - they look better.

Enty
 Lankyman 17 May 2009
In reply to Enty: you must mean Whelpstone Crag? Again, it's a bit limited as a crag although I thought there was scope for problems and even a roped route or two. I once saw a fox escape hounds by diving beneath the boulders there. On the plus side it's a fantastic little hill to include in a walk and pack a pair of rock boots. The views are superb. It is possible to drive to Whelpstone Lodge just a km away to the east for a quick recce.
 Enty 17 May 2009
In reply to Karl Lunt:

I used to do the MTB circuit round the forest and look up at it but never went up there.

Enty
 Lankyman 18 May 2009
In reply to Karl Lunt: here they are! http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=402625 That geograph website is amazing.
 Lankyman 18 May 2009
In reply to Enty: here's Whelpstone Crag - it probably flatters to deceive in this pic http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/163926 I wasn't making mental notes to rush back on my two walks that way!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...