UKC

Buttermilk Boulders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fluff woolley 04 Jul 2016
Hi
Hoping to get to Buttermilk boulders in September can anyone tell me if you are allowed to camp at the boulders I think in America its called "Wilderness camping"
Thanks Fluff
In reply to fluff woolley:

Yes, you can camp at the Buttermilks; not near the boulders themselves, but there are a few pullouts on the road up. There's no water and, until recently, no toilet facilities.

It will still be quite warm and there is no shade in that area, so you might like to explore some of the camping options either a little higher up the road, or further north towards Mammoth where there is tree cover; there are numerous options on the 395 between Bishop and Mammoth
OP fluff woolley 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Captain Fastrousers:

Thanks for that information I thought it might still be quite warm in September but its the only time we can go
I will check out the option on the Mammoth road.
Thanks again
 Rich2002 26 Jul 2016

Also Check out Hostel California, very friendly and cheap plus a lot of climbers hang out there and they will let you borrow their boulder pads. at the very least you can get a shower etc. search for the fb page and that will give you all the info.
In reply to Rich2002:

Are you allowed to leave?
 AlistairB 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Rich2002:

Second that, was going to wild camp but decided to just stay there in the end. Really great place, cheap and a good set of people. I was able to borrow a couple of extra pads and make some new friends which made highballing a much better experience!
 AJM 26 Jul 2016
In reply to AlistairB:

Thirded.
 phildavies84 26 Jul 2016

Another vote for Hostel California. Some very interesting characters in residence, as well a flying visit from a post-dawn wall Kevin Jorgeson. Matt, the owner, was really friendly and accommodating despite us losing a few of the hostels pads.
OP fluff woolley 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Rich2002:

Thanks for that I've not heard of it but i will defiantly check it out .
Good to know you can borrow some crash pads
OP fluff woolley 19 Aug 2016
In reply to phildavies84: ]

Thanks for that must check this Hostel out with its interesting characters [which I seem to attract - which is good as long as they are sound]which make life interesting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...