UKC

Climbing after brain injury

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Eak 31 Aug 2019

I‘m new here and was just wondering whether anyone has returned to bouldering after they had suffered a brain injury or stroke leaving them paralyzed on one side.

I was paralyzed on the left side after a brain injury a month ago. I am getting some movement back in the hand and leg but all the stuff I have read so far is not massively positive about being able to climb in the future.

thanks

Tom Last 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Eak:

Might be worth getting in touch with Paul Pritchard or Mikey Cleverdon, Eak.

Best of luck in your recovery.

Edit. Both of these people have spoken publicly about their injuries in this respect.  

Post edited at 17:00
 LakesWinter 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Eak:

After a brain injury you can keep improving for many years, it can feel a bit 2 steps forward 1 back but hang on in there and things can return or improve.

katyc 01 Sep 2019
In reply to Eak:

Hi Eak, 

Firstly, sorry to hear about your injury and wishing you a positive recovery.

Not sure where you are based but it would be beneficial for you to access a Neuro physiotherapist. I hope that you would be seeing one through the NHS anyway so soon after injury.

All brain injuries recover at different rates so without knowing more detail it's hard be specific about recovery but the physio should be able to guide you with this.

As the previous post said, recovery can continue for a long long time, it's a good sign that you're getting some movement back.

Good luck with it all and really hope to hear that you've got back out climbing. 

K

slab_happy 03 Sep 2019
In reply to Eak:

Since you mention bouldering: probably worth talking to your neurologist about how your brain might be affected by falls, while you're recovering and in the longer-term.

It's possible the brain injury may mean you need to avoid anything jarring (even a fall onto matting) while your brain's in an especially vulnerable state. In which case, you might need to switch to top-roping, at least while you heal.

Or it might be fine -- I am not a doctor!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...