UKC

Do i need a spotter for outdoor bouldering?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hi
I'm 17, been climbing for a year and a half but i dont really know anyone who's interested in outdoor bouldering, and legal red tape restricts me from joining any groups because I'm under 18. I will be looking at the climbing centre i go to (Leeds Wall) for people also interested in bouldering as i believe there are notices in there to help meet new
climbers.

Despite this is is recommended to go bouldering outdoors on your own? I have had limited outdoor experience before so is it recommended just to go somewhere fairly popular and bring a crash mat?

Hope you guys can help
Ben
 Jon Stewart 12 Mar 2017
In reply to Stuck On a Wall:

Yes, it's totally fine going bouldering by yourself (perhaps not quite as fun) - but choose your venue carefully.

Almscliff is a good choice as there are lots of low problems with good landings, and loads of people to meet at the crag. As you say, just bring a pad and you may well find folk to team up with anyhow. Shipley Glen would be a less good choice as it's rather more dangerous. But since the Glen is dead easy to get to by public transport it don't write it off as there are suitable bits in amongst the high, scary stuff. Caley has a good mixture unsuitable (high, scary) stuff and nice low stuff that's fine on your own. Caley is great in the spring and can be crap (sweaty, midgey, overgrown) the rest of the year.

The bouldering in Yorkshire is some of the best anywhere - get stuck in!
 teapot 12 Mar 2017

Yes. Just head somewhere with low boulders and nice landings - avoid anything too high, especially until you develop your topping out skills, which is something you don't practice indoors. Not sure where in Yorkshire fits the bill, but there are loads of suitable spots that i am sure others can recommend. Also always check out the downclimbs. Obviously accidents can happen, even when bouldering at low heights, so let someone know where you are going and take some means of communication.
Definitely get out there and have lots of fun.
 Si_G 12 Mar 2017

Lots, lots more fun in a group.
Helpful to have someone with a mat as the landings are a LOT harder outdoors. And you might want a pointer on the descent route.
And a guidebook is handy.
 Coel Hellier 12 Mar 2017

Yes, it's fine to boulder alone. Just be sensible, choose problems with good landings, and avoid highballs, until you develop more experience and judgement.

The other point is that if you go to popular places you often find others there, and you get talking to them, sharing mats, et cetera, ... et voila .. spotters if you need them!
 Kevster 12 Mar 2017

I think it's rare to boulder alone if you want company. Even if I go alone, I can easily get chatting to others and if need be, ask for a spot. Just be wary of the quality of spotting you may or may not receive. You never know, you meet the people you wish to climb with again in the future.
If there is no one else at the crag, be sensible.
Enjoy.
 Bulls Crack 12 Mar 2017
In reply to
> Lots, lots more fun in a group.

Unless you don't like bouldering in a group that is!

afx22 12 Mar 2017

It's fine but take it steady at first. Make sure you place your mat to give the safest landing and avoid problems with sketchy landings for now.

As well as Almscliff and Caley, try and get to Little Almscliff, Buckstones and South Burbage. The later have lots of climbs that aren't too high and most landings are good.
 stp 15 Mar 2017

It's worth noting that both spotting and crash pads are relatively new developments in the history of bouldering. Although they seem like essential components these days they only came in about 20 years ago. The suggestion of using pads for bouldering was initially met with indifference and even disdain by British boulderers.

Just be aware that some highball problems are more like soloing routes. Don't commit yourself to situations you can't get out of.
 Si_G 15 Mar 2017
In reply to stp:

Yeah, I'm a bit over sensitive about pads and things as I'm enjoying the luxury of a broken ankle just now.
I might need to buy Dave MacLeod's book...
 Offwidth 15 Mar 2017

Two tips from me (sad guidebook workers too often end up on their own take two mats and consider a lid. The two mats, one big one small, allows me to level out landings much better or cover an obvious rock in a potential fall line. When on my own I wear a lid on anything high or high enough that I need to worry if I spin off uncontrolled... in company I normally leave it in the bag unless my friends can't spot (its a skill and too many dont know how to do it properly)

The bouldering around Leeds is as good as anywhere in the world so enjoy.
 Offwidth 15 Mar 2017
In reply to stp:

Spotting is pretty much as old as climbing, don't you read any history?
 stp 15 Mar 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

Sad to say but I'm so old I can remember history.
 mattsccm 16 Mar 2017
In reply to stp:

To much thinking. Just go somewhere nice and climb around a bit.
 rtinma 20 Mar 2017
I have a simple rule for bouldering on my own: Landing, Height, Topout. If two out of these are dodgy I don't attempt it. Otherwise go for it.
Post edited at 20:52
 dr_botnik 21 Mar 2017

My top tip of climbing on your own is: always check out there's an easy way down!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...