UKC

Easy Bouldering Places (West Yorkshire)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Edition 11 Oct 2019

Anybody know any easy bouldering places for beginners in the area of west yorkshire?

I'm not familiar with bouldering difficulty grades so i can't be specific, but if anyone has any suggestions, go ahead and ill take a look.

For reference, i tried shipley glen but that was far too difficult.

Post edited at 23:34
 Dog Dave 12 Oct 2019

Bridestones near todmorden and widdop near heptonstall both well worth a look at

adam clarke 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Edition:

You could try Buckstones. There are some pretty easy problems with nice landings below the road

http://www.kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/buckstones_below_topo

Offwidth 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Dog Dave:

Bridestones are a terrible choice given the history and erosion.

Given what was said about Shipley Glen the best areas I know with extensive problems (many unlisted) from the lowest grades and quick access are Woodhouse Scar and The Buckstones (both in Yorkshire Gritstone V2)... or with a bit of a walk Roundhill (in V1). 

In reply to Edition:

West Nab has some really nice bouldering with a good span of grades.

Chris

West Nab

Offwidth 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Christheclimber:

Possible access problems sadly;  also not too much really easy stuff. Holmfirth is somewhere local with similar quality at lower grades grades, best from f3+ (UK trad 4b). Roundhill, Woodhouse Scar, and Buckstones have good problems from f1.

Bob Kemp 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Edition:

I haven't been yet but Sharp Haw and associated areas looks good for easier stuff:

https://unknownstones.com/sharp-haw-and-flasby-fell/

freemanTom 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Little Almscliff

Little Almscliff is pleasant and short walk in. Often people flying drones which detracts but plenty of low ball easy problems. 

plyometrics 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Dog Dave:

+1 for Widdop. Perfect spot for it. 

In reply to Offwidth:

Not been for a couple of years. What is the access problem?

Easy problems  at Settee boulders, Ramp boulders and Aura boulders.

Chris

greg_may_ 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Edition:

Widdop

Woodhouse Scar

Blackstone edge (technically Lancs...just)

Andy Hardy 12 Oct 2019
In reply to Edition:

Greetland quarry? (although I'm assuming pig sh1t wall will be seeping just now.

Removed User 14 Oct 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

I'm aware of the erosion with regard to Bridestones, but what do you mean re History ? ? please expand.....

db79 14 Oct 2019
In reply to Edition:

I'd start with Buckstones, and Holmfirth. West Nab is lovely but spread out and not always easy work out what you're climbing. Standedge has a few nice lower grade problems too.

Further afield, Widdop, Blackstone Edge and Hobson Moor (I know it's not West Yorkshire, but depending on where in West Yorkshire you are, it might be nearer that Almscliff) all offer some lovely lower grade problems.

Post edited at 14:26
 afx22 15 Oct 2019
In reply to Edition:

I know you said that you didn't find Shipley Glen easy but I'd suggest it's worth a revisit.  The 'John' area has a large concentration of easier climbs.  Some other areas are a bit highball and some are full of tougher climbs but it's a good venue, when you get to know it.

I see a few people have suggested Widdop.  There's one particular boulder that is good but I think it's generally lacking in F3 and F4s.  It's great once you're at F5 and upwards.  Beautiful place to be though.

Buckstones has to be the best choice as there are so many F3 climbs and many of them have easy top outs - both above and below the road.

Offwidth 15 Oct 2019
In reply to afx22:

I'm pretty sure most replies are misunderstanding what the OP means by easy. I'm assuming non highball f3 at most. I'd never recommend Shipley Glen as a good beginners venue with easy problems (at least not without a short rope).

The biggest problem with the easy bouldering at Widdop is it's a bit too much of a cold and damp place in autumn and winter for people seeking fun bouldering. In comparison Woodhouse Scar is much lower altitude and an autumn & winter afternoon sun trap. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...