UKC

Farr Block - Inverness Area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
peanuts 23 Jul 2018

Have been at Farr block twice this year, but never prior to that.

Wondered if anyone knows when the forestry felled there, and when they replanted?  It's hard to imagine how the rock will weather as the forest regrows up around it.. any insight into this, or what the block was like before they felled around it

scragrock 25 Jul 2018
In reply to peanuts:

Hi 

My mate Jamie Murray found the Farr Bloc about 10 years back when it was freshly felled. I suspect like most plantations it was replanted soon after this.

As for Weathering, i have noted that someone has been selectively trimming and pruning the nearest saplings to the boulder in order that the regrowth does not impinge too much on the climbing.

Cheers

gaz.marshall 25 Jul 2018
In reply to scragrock:

After felling it's normal to leave an area fallow for at least 3 years before re-stocking to let the weevil numbers die off, but it can be left much longer. 

I did deer impact assessments on the restocked trees in (I think) 2013, and they were normally done the year after planting.  So my guess is: felled sometime 2007-2009, re-planted in 2012. 

We can look forward to it being free of trees again in another 50-odd years!

peanuts 25 Jul 2018
In reply to gaz.marshall:

Yeah, I can see the boulder being fit for purpose in 50 years, me not so much though!

Cheers though guys, insightful.  I'm no ecologist so I hardly know the process.. but I am pretty sure it would be way less enjoyable spot if covered in moss & saturated around the base

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...