UKC

Font - Weather at certain times of year

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 21 Jan 2013
I have options of Easter or MayDay time for a Font trip.

Is there a significant difference in weather throughout the year for Font and what is the "norm" for end of March?

Jon Stewart 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Rampikino:

Pretty much like here, it's rather too cold in winter and rather too hot in summer. Easter is a very popular time to go, autumn is also excellent. The middle of summer I think you'd be restricted to shady venues and I don't think you'd be climbing at your limit - but nice picnicking which is perhaps an equally valid priority.

I've been at Easter a few times and it usually rains a fair bit, it could snow, or it could be boiling hot. It's really not significantly different to the UK.
 JLS 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Rampikino:

I've been the end of March the last few years and it's generally been good with no significant loss of climbing time due to weather but it does come down to luck.

At the sub Font7A grades I climb I wouldn't be too worried by May temperatures either.

If you are looking for nice weather to do a bit of climbing go in May and are not too worried about pulling on 8A slopers.

I go in March to kick start the season when the difference between Glasgow and Paris weather is generally significant.
 Doug 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Rampikino: Climate at Fontainebleau isn't much different to south eastern UK. You can get long term averages from Meteo France for nearby Melun - http://climat.meteofrance.com/chgt_climat2/climat_france?CLIMAT_PORTLET.pat...

Unless you're climbing 8something & wanting one of those rare cold & dry winter days, I'd suggest spring or autumn as the best time to visit - warm but not so hot you're always looking for shade.
 fried 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Rampikino:

As Doug says.

I'd choose May simply because you'll find it easier to find accomodation and less busy. unless you like the crowds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...