UKC

Fontainebleau bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have ever been bouldering in Fontainebleau? I've heard good things about it and me and a couple of friends were thinking about going there this summer for a few days. Would be very grateful of your opinions as you have much more experience than me!
 RBonney 03 Apr 2013
In reply to The Bouldering Badger: I've been twice and it's definitely one of my favourite places to climb. You can get so much done in such a short space of time by just doing loads of easy problems. Not only that but there's climbs of every style (crimpy, slopey, technical, powerful) and they all seem to be brilliant.

The more popular areas are extremely polished, especially the easier problems which will spit you of and bruise your ego.

I'd say if you have the chance to go take it.
 Jon Stewart 03 Apr 2013
In reply to The Bouldering Badger:

If you like bouldering and you like France, you will definitely like Fontainebleau (personally, I'm a bit lukewarm towards both). Nothing in this country compares to the bouldering in Font, there are thousands and thousands of brilliant problems, at every grade, in every style, all extremely accessible.
 ti_pin_man 03 Apr 2013
It is simply one of the best bouldering destinations on earth... So far. If you are into bouldering it has zillions of problems in a beautiful forest. And the country makes the best red wine. What's not to like?

Go, go , go! Find a few decent crags, there's tons, and climb.
 SARS 03 Apr 2013

I love it, but prefer to go when it's cooler rather than summer. Don't underestimate the difference good friction makes.

I aim for at least one trip per year and might start making it two.
 joshen 03 Apr 2013

go, it's awesome. i could go on and on about it but will spare you. think i've been 5 times and would happily go back there tomorrow over a lot of other awesome places i've climbed. it can be somewhat scorchio in summer but as long as you go to wooded areas rather rather than places like cul de chien (where i once actually started melting) there'll be somewhere pleasant to climb. would perhaps recommend early or late summer to allow you climb wherever you want without melting.
 AlisonSmiles 03 Apr 2013

I'm not a boulderer, was there on my own, and even I thought it was fab!
 balmybaldwin 04 Apr 2013
In reply to SARS:
> (In reply to The Bouldering Badger)
>
> I love it, but prefer to go when it's cooler rather than summer. Don't underestimate the difference good friction makes.
>
> I aim for at least one trip per year and might start making it two.

I know what you mean, and I've been out many times in the colder months, but for a nice relaxed holiday (i.e. not pushing grades) its fabulous in the summer too... just add to your day pack sun lotion, a couple of extra bottles of water, a rug, some french bread, cheese and other fillings. Then get into the forest, have a little bit of a climb until the temp starts to really climb, then find a nice spot under a tree, enjoy a long picnic lunch, interspersed with a couple of climbs, then climb into the early evening... pop into barbizon on your way back to the campsite and call in to the creperie for a savoury crepe, a sweet crepe and a bolle of cidre (12euro last time I was there iirc) - fantastic. Then do it all again the next day.
In reply to balmybaldwin: That sounds absolutely fantastic.
Cheers for all the info guys! Hadn't thought about the summer being too hot, might try and bump the trip back to September so I can get more done. Plus I think the Frenchies have most of August off as a holiday so that would be a bad time to go with it being so busy!
 Steve nevers 05 Apr 2013

Depending on when your going I might be up for teaming up with you lot for a weekend or something. Was thinking about a short reccy trip in May/June to check a bit of Font out and try a few problems, then head back for a week later in the year armed with a bit more knowledge of the area. (And also to have a crack at everything i fell off in the earlier trip!)
 alooker 05 Apr 2013
In reply to The Bouldering Badger: it's flipping brilliant, have a good time!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...