UKC

Fontainebleau rest days!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Clum 16 Nov 2016
Planning a trip to Fontainebleau for next summer. Just wondering what others have done on rest days? Obviously you can go to Paris and various places in Fontainebleau itself, but I wondered if there were any other areas that you guys would recommend!
In reply to Mr Aboulderer:
Paris Disney pretty good fun if you have children.

If you enjoy the silvan pleasures of font, there are some nice walks, this may seem counter productive to a hardcore boulderer with sparrow legs, but i can assure you it is a pleasure and good active rest! the bosses 25(marked red) around the trois pignons (small hills) is great, it will take all day and is rocky. There is also a great hike around the elephant- Dame joanne , these are marked on the IGN Fontainebleau map.

Time is never wasted if you go on missions in search of the more escoteric venues/problems on rainy days.
Post edited at 19:17
 Fraser 16 Nov 2016

I've not yet been to Font but Parc de la Villette is certainly worth a visit:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_de_la_Villette
 snoop6060 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

Spend your rest days finding hidden gems and lesser known stuff. Take wine and various pastries and have a picnic.

Then go back with your pad and fall off them all.
 Kevster 16 Nov 2016
Font in summer eh? Could be hot hot hot.

I also like the pleural on rest day.... never crossed my mind to have more than one easy day in a weeks climbing. AND never crossed my mind that my skin was going to last more than a week at font.

Enjoy.

Oh, reptile hunting is a fun past time which gets you away from the crowds....
or a really easy long circuit. Do these still exist?
Post edited at 22:33
 Jon Stewart 16 Nov 2016
In reply to Kevster:

> or a really easy long circuit. Do these still exist?

I rather enjoyed the "mountain circuit" at Franchard Cuisiniere. I really did not, however, enjoy the "alpine" (mauve?) circuit at Dame Jouanne.
 balmybaldwin 16 Nov 2016

I loved Font in the high summer. Lazy bouldering days mixed with snoozing in the shade

Down in Prez opposite the camp-site there's a Canoe and bike rental place on the river (where else?) a nice paddle or ride up towards font on the river is a good way to spend a day.

OP Clum 16 Nov 2016
Thanks all! Plenty to get me through the rest days I'd say

rtinma 23 Nov 2016

The nearby village of Moret-sur-Loing is a gem. It was where the English Impressionist, Alfred Sisley, lived, and you can do a bike trail along the river and discover the scenes he painted.
You can also cycle from there along the river to Nemours and have a fantastic cheap lunch at the workers restaurant, L'Ecluse, on the edge of town.
Also there is a good museum devoted to the pre-impressionist Barbizon School in Barbizon. There are two chateaux, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Maincy, and of course Fontainebleau.
 marsbar 23 Nov 2016
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

I hated Disneyland Paris. But the girls did enjoy it.
 marsbar 23 Nov 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I did enjoy the canoeing. Particularly when we fell in. It was all Mr Marsbar fault.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...