UKC

Harland Edge Topo/Guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SDM 16 Apr 2021

Is there a topo or guidebook that covers all of the bouldering at Harland Edge?

I've got the Rockfax Peak Bouldering that has a few problems but I'm hoping there's more than UKC descriptions to cover the rest.

Jon Stewart 16 Apr 2021
In reply to SDM:

It's in the Rockfax Peak Bouldering, and the BMC Froggatt-Black Rocks. Limited, but what's there is very nice rock. Some good highball-ish lines round V2-4.

Edit. Don't think you'll find a whole lot more than what's in Rockfax. If there's more rock up there, just play on it?

Post edited at 22:20
 mark20 16 Apr 2021

I thought there was a topo on the excellent Southern Esoteric Bouldering Companion website, but can’t find it now. A combo of the guidebook and Ukc logs (and crag pin feature) will see you right.

The rock on “the distant boulder” at the far end is fantastic. 

Post edited at 23:11
 Offwidth 17 Apr 2021
In reply to SDM:

The BMC Froggatt guidebook (covers quite a few smaller venues not in the Rockfax guidebook). Access from either end; do not cross the bogland below direct, as it is a sensitive SSI. There is some good advice for such venues on the front page of Esoteric Boudering (an excellent site):

https://esotericboulderingcompanion.weebly.com/

OP SDM 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth, mark20 and Jon Stewart:

Thanks all. I had checked Southern Esoteric Bouldering Companion because I thought that was the most likely place. I think quite a lot of the problems might have been developed since I last went there so thought there might be a topo somewhere.

Looks like I'll be having an explore using the UKC descriptions.

Offwidth 17 Apr 2021
In reply to SDM:

Try asking on UKB. Mark, Jon etc might well have better info available.

Steve_westy 17 Apr 2021
In reply to SDM:

There’s some quality boulders at the far end and it’s worth seeking out. 

Watch the parking tho, park as for dukes seat and walk in along the by way and up. There’s been a few issues with individuals approaching from the road in the east (as described in Rockfax) and now the walls been knocked down which isn’t giving the best impression of climbers. 

Offwidth 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

There is also some extra information here (bottom right tab) if you use something like a Puffin browser (as it's an old Flash site and not many browsers work).

http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/chatsworth.html

In reply to SDM:

The guidebook (and this site) describe access from the road and hopping over a wall. A fence and barbed wire was erected a few years ago and runs all the way over to the other side of the hill. Since that I’ve been accessing via the Rabbit Warren path which leads you to the other end of the crag. There’s a well worn track across the moor to a gate. 
The guides have got pretty comprehensive coverage, and the UKC database looks pretty well populated. It’s also a nice place just wander along the crag with a pad and just climb stuff without a guidebook. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...