UKC

Hollin Hill is Unsafe. Avoid for a while.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hello,

A homeless man has been sleeping at Hollin Hill for a little while now. He started building a wall under some problems, which my friend dismantled so she could climb. He left a note saying "How would you like if it i dismanteled your wall". Fairly harmless at first. The wall building and taking down has happened a few times.

We have just been this evening and found more sinister things. There are  now some air rifle bullets being stored at the crag in a tin in the the wall and a note which says "When I catch you, I will carve my name into your face". We don't know if this is aimed at my friend or is something else but we left pretty sharpish.

Landowner, BMC and police notified. 

Hollin Hill

Lankyman 23 May 2023
In reply to Adventures of a ginge:

> A homeless man has been sleeping at Hollin Hill for a little while now. He started building a wall under some problems, which my friend dismantled so she could climb. He left a note saying "How would you like if it i dismanteled your wall". Fairly harmless at first. The wall building and taking down has happened a few times.

This sounds just so cruel and unfeeling. Your climbing is so much more important than this man trying to find a dry place to sleep?

> We have just been this evening and found more sinister things. There are  now some air rifle bullets being stored at the crag in a tin in the the wall and a note which says "When I catch you, I will carve my name into your face". We don't know if this is aimed at my friend or is something else but we left pretty sharpish.

> Landowner, BMC and police notified. 

I'm not condoning threatening someone but did you even consider contacting a homeless charity or even talking to the bloke and offering him a sandwich or a tent?

ebdon 23 May 2023

Thanks for the update, I was thinking about heading there now its got warm, and chossy limestone season is upon us, will give it a wide berth.

In reply to Lankyman:

Oh bore off. This is half a story for a brief UKC post to make sure people stay safe. 

midgen 23 May 2023

Did you consider that his wall might be quite important to him, perhaps moreso than your ticking a boulder problem? 

I could think of just about any other course of action that might lead to a better outcome than the path you chose. 

Maybe because I used to climb at Avalonia a lot, but jeez have a bit of bloody empathy.

In reply to midgen:

Not my actions. My friend actions. Please read the post properly. 

mark20 23 May 2023

Have you seen this man? As it sounds like it could be local youths, building walls, shooting air rifles and generally mucking around (I've heard reports of kids wandering around there with an air rifle). Though obviously still quite scary.

Either way, I can't see this ending well now the police and landowner are involved, on a crag that was previously very low-key. 

Thanks for updating us, best give the place a swerve for a bit.

midgen 23 May 2023

> Not my actions. My friend actions. Please read the post properly. 

Pass my feedback on then! Honestly, there's a homeless person trying to build a shelter at a crag, and their first thought is to repeatedly kick it down so they can climb? 

steepstuff 29 May 2023

The homeless person left weeks ago....we have been going down a far few times in the last 6-8 weeks cleaning up and re- glueing etc....There has been no problems here at all. I think your reading into the air rifle bullets and notes are totally over the top. Why you had to notify the landowner, BMC and Police is a total over reaction... lets hope we can still get access...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...