UKC

How short until it's not a boulder problem anymore?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 16 Jul 2017
I have found some small boulders that seem to be overlooked (i.e. it seems nobody has bothered to say they've climbed routes on them). I had a play on them, and there was only really `1-3 moves per 'problem' (i.e. one is a mantel, the other is a sit-start, pulling up on a jug to reach a finger lock, then doing an easy rockover, another is a tricky mantel using sidepulls that I didn't even manage as the landing was bad and I had only running shoes - this could likely be done with a sit-start to increase the difficulty). If it were next to much better rock I wouldn't bother, but it's the only rock for miles. Do these sound too 'crap' / short / easy to be bouldering problems? Or do they 'count' but are just bottom of the barrel?
 petegunn 16 Jul 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

If they are really that short and easy I doubt that many others would bother with them, saying that, if they are the only climbable rocks near you it might be worth making a note about them on the crag page.
You don't have to document the problems, it just lets people know that they are there.
pasbury 16 Jul 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

They sound good for kids - short boulders can be great for them to play on wheras the emphasis in most bouldering development is always for a bit more length.
 paul mitchell 31 Jul 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

If it's a challenge and shows a bit of imagination in conception,it's a problem.
Andy Gamisou 31 Jul 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

Well, my wife is 5"0' and claims everything is a route to her. Hope that helps!
 Webster 31 Jul 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

iv attempted a legitimate boulder problem in Dartmoor somewhere which is only about waist high! 'skin graft' I believe it was called... just a 1 move sit start-rock over thingy. so anything can be considered a problem if 1 or more ppl consider it worth of climbing!
 Phil79 31 Jul 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

youtube.com/watch?v=F5gvgsemop8&

If its good enough for Font......
 Phil79 31 Jul 2017
In reply to Webster:

> iv attempted a legitimate boulder problem in Dartmoor somewhere which is only about waist high! 'skin graft' I believe it was called... just a 1 move sit start-rock over thingy. so anything can be considered a problem if 1 or more ppl consider it worth of climbing!

Skin Graft (f5+)#photos

This one?
 duchessofmalfi 31 Jul 2017
Most climbing is a silly sport really - >90% of all climbs can toped easily reached by walking around the back so it is mainly self-imposed difficulty.

If the difficulty entertains you great, if it entertains others then it is probably a "problem" regardless of height.

In the former category I recall a problem that involved climbing something roughly the height of my knee which was bloody hard (lying under a long, thin, horizontal flake in a scoop in the sand and then climbing over the end of the flake using a strange combination of heel hooking, hugging the rock and manteling - it took me the best part of an hour to "climb" it and I could have easily "walked" it with one step in under a second.

OP SenzuBean 07 Aug 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

Thanks for the replies folks. It seems it is worth listing then. I just need to buy a boulder pad!
 johncook 07 Aug 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

You may need to buy a very thin one!
 matthew jones 29 Aug 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

As long as you are having fun then no one can complain. Probably the hardest aspect of our beloved sport to explain to yer gran though...
 Mick Ward 29 Aug 2017
In reply to SenzuBean:

'To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour...'

Go for it. What's to lose? Nothing.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...