UKC

I'm going to Zambia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Edward Lees 27 Sep 2017
I'm off to Zambia for 8 months as of tomorrow and I would like to know if anyone will be out there to scout around for a load of boulders, or potentially some trad. I'll be staying in Lusaka and (I think) I'll be getting a car with my job out there. However the only kit i'll be taking with me is a pair of shoes, some chalk, a helmet, and my harness with a grigri. Will anyone be going out there?
In reply to Edward Lees:
Presumably you've tried this guy:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=620046

This is the only other thing on here:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=429426

Have fun. Maybe take a rope and some slings and maybe a minimal rack otherwise there's no point taking a harness and grigri. You'll then be able to make something of the things you find, even if you only toprope them.

I found some amazing boulders in Sudan on the Eritrean border in 2015 and a few of us developed a load of them. Climbing in the sun was too hot (45/50C) even in January so we climbed from 5am till noon, but you should be better off in Zambia.

Also, don't hang around the rail marshalling yards at Kapiri Mposhi after dark. Just don't.
Post edited at 14:43
 john arran 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Edward Lees:

I was in Zambia for a short while some years ago. Almost all pancake flat, unfortunately. The only exception I came across was Livingstone, which looked to have some half decent trad potential, but we didn't have time. Maybe some limited bouldering in the gorge too but it wasn't obvious.
 Trangia 27 Sep 2017
In reply to Edward Lees:

> I'm off to Zambia for 8 months as of tomorrow

Have you asked Donald to confirm it exists? Or you might finish up in Nambia........

Edward Lees 28 Sep 2017
Cheers guys, If I find anything exciting i'll definitley post it on here. I was thinking of keeping it to just bouldering because it's a lot easier to just go out and do. Otherwise I heard that there is a fair bit of mountain biking so I might do that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...