UKC

Kids these days 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 23 Jan 2018

In reply to French Erick:

> https://www.lequipe.fr/Adrenaline/Escalade/Actualites/Oriane-bertone-12-ans......

> beyond being burnt by a 12 years old lass... the boulder problem looks well cool.

She's now done an 8b+, Golden Shadow, in Rocklands...

https://onbouldering.com/oriane-bertone-climbs-golden-shadow-8b-v14/

Even more surprising is that she comes from Reunion Island. Can't imagine there's a lot of rock or climbing walls there to train on.

girlymonkey 23 Jan 2018
In reply to stp:

There is tonnes of rock! It's a volcanic island, 3000m peak with 3 huge cirques around it. Plenty of rock at low level too.

I lived there about 15 years ago, and never found a climbing wall, but it's a developed enough island to have one by now, if they wanted one. It's not really an indoor climate!!

jonathandavey 24 Jan 2018
In reply to stp:

Caroline Ciavaldini is from Réunion. There was a video about year or two ago of her, James Pearson, Yuji, Jacopo Larcher and some others new routing there. I recall she said climbing was really popular over there, that she got into climbing through it being part of school pe lessons.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=1784

Post edited at 13:56
cb294 24 Jan 2018
In reply to stp:

She is cheating, pure and simple.

Anyone of that build should be forced to wear a weight vest or carry a rucksack full of sand to compensate for their unfair body weight advantage!

CB

PS: Great effort!

OP stp 24 Jan 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

That's really interesting. Thanks. I know nothing about the place, it's just a tiny spec in the sea East of Africa to me.

I think it's interesting that someone has become so good when they're so far away from the more mainstream climbing communities though.

Robert Durran 24 Jan 2018
In reply to cb294:

> She is cheating, pure and simple.

> Anyone of that build should be forced to wear a weight vest or carry a rucksack full of sand to compensate for their unfair body weight advantage!

Don't worry. Hopefully, once she reaches puberty, she'll completely change shape and struggle to get up a F5.

Post edited at 23:14
 girlymonkey 25 Jan 2018
In reply to stp:

It's worth a visit. It's a long way from everywhere, but a cool place. I spent a semester "studying" there! It may not have been the hardest semester I ever did in my student life, but it was good fun!! It has an active volcano, lovely beaches, good coral reefs, cracking waterfalls, mountains and interesting culture.

It was an uninhabitted island until the French East India company cast some mutineers there to die in the 18th century. They came back 12 months later to find them thriving, and so started using it for plantations. They brought slaves from around the world to work on the plantations, so the population is now a completely mixed race population with many families having physical characteristics associated with numerous people groups. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...