UKC

Lancashire bouldering. I have the first copy! whoooooooo!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 efrance24234 11 Oct 2014
Looks great! Really well done. So many places I haven't been to that look quality!
 robin mueller 13 Oct 2014
In reply to efrance24234:

Thanks Elliot, glad you like it! I think you got the very first one!
 rooroo 13 Oct 2014

Great guide, it's a nice mix of moors and quarry, so much to do!

I've got mine as well, mate.
 alasdair19 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Timothy Greenhalgh:

it's a guide so good I may even drive to Lancashire to use it!
 rooroo 13 Oct 2014
In reply to alasdair19:

This might be a pre-requisite.
Who knows, you might even have fun!
 goose299 13 Oct 2014

Hopefully gettin mine tomorrow if the weather stays fine
Looking forward to it
 dave mann 13 Oct 2014
In reply to robin mueller:

Got my copy too. A great guide well put together. Was surprised at the places Gaskins got to ie Lower Montcliff
 Graham Stevens 13 Oct 2014

Got my copy today - brilliant job, Robin. Anyone who hasn't sampled the delights of Lancashire Bouldering yet, should get a copy of this guide. Thorn Crag, Longridge, and Brownstones are national treasures, but loads more to go at in this county too.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 13 Oct 2014

Congrats on the guide!
 Paul Crusher R 14 Oct 2014

I'm getting 2. One for the bag, one for the bog.
 robin mueller 15 Oct 2014
Thanks everyone, really glad you all like it! I hope to see more people out bouldering in Lancashire this winter. After all it's the third gritstone kingdom, alongside Yorkshire and the Peak. I think the new stuff, especially all the newly developed moorland stuff, means that everyone who loves gritstone bouldering should know about Lancashire.

Judging by the locations of orders I'm getting - mainly from Lancs, but also loads from further afield, including one from Switzerland (!) there will be a few visitors making the trip to red rose rocks. Which is brilliant!

See you all at the crag...
Post edited at 12:56
 Tyler 15 Oct 2014

Just got mine, looks great Robin. I liked the interviews at the back, nice touch, but is this the first example of a guide book making itself out of date, what with Paul upgrading Colt?

I also like that you resurrected the Lancashire guidebook tradition of having a picture of someone in garish tights on Bend of the Rainbow
Camdaz 15 Oct 2014

Fantastic guide, very dedicated effort that will be very much appreciated by many, I may be back in the divorce courts after this new release lol just kidding.
Many thanks for the guide book Robin, see you out planet crushing.

It's top draw Robin. Great to see the commitment and quality from a local enthusiast. Refreshing.
Pity Robbins spends so much time on his bog!
 Tyler 16 Oct 2014
In reply to Tyler:

Just realised Colt is given 7C+ in the text as well. Read more of the book last night, still looks great
 robin mueller 16 Oct 2014
In reply to John Postlethwaite, Tyler and Camdaz:

Cheers guys!

Tyler, I thought I'd leave it till it gets some repeats. I think 7C+ is probably likely, we'll see. Could be a while - as the interview suggests, most people find it harder to climb big numbers on vertical quarried rock than on steep crags. The holds tend to be smaller and you don't get as many goes before your skin gives up. I think this is one of the reasons there are so few 8A and up problems in the quarries - it's not because the lines don't exist!

The Longridge photo is a stunner, I agree! Not my photo, taken in the 80s I think.

nbonnett 16 Oct 2014

Excellent, good effort on the guide
 Mike Stretford 17 Oct 2014
In reply to robin mueller: Is it in the shops or just mail order?

robin mueller 17 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

It's in some shops - don't think it's made it to any Manchester shops yet. I still need to spread the word - many shops don't even know it exists.

But you can get it from www.lancashirebouldering.com - postage is free and I'll even sign it if you like.
 Mike Stretford 17 Oct 2014

Cheers I'll order now.

Thanks Mike!

Getting a gang together for Cow's Mouth tomorrow. There are some great highballs, plus shorter stuff. It's fast drying, so hopefully will be a good bet after the rain. Come along if you fancy it.

All welcome!

Posted some pics and more details on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/lancashirebouldering.guidebook/posts/1540299439547...
Madmax245 17 Oct 2014

just got mine from boulder uk last night fresh out of a box. had a flick through and it looks brilliant.
 Mark Collins 17 Oct 2014

Got mine, thanks very much it looks great. I'm especially intrigued by the Anglezarke 'deep water soloing', can't wait to go and have a look.
In reply to Madmax and Mark:

Thanks guys, glad you are enjoying it!

Mark, it's great fun. Feels surreal doing it on a reservoir, but it climbs very nicely. Be careful of course - I have tested the dunk but only in one spot (fluffed the crux), and water levels may vary. That was in November, and it was deep enough that year for me to be completely submerged, despite a long dry summer. Surprisingly, it wasn't all that cold.

slinky wizard 20 Oct 2014

Reading mine now absolutely superb Robin. hope to see you this winter .Broughton power davej
 robin mueller 20 Oct 2014
In reply to slinky wizard:

Cheers Dave, glad you like it!

I was going to name a project Broughton Power, but I never managed to complete it. Maybe if Broughton had stayed open I would have had the power...

Be good to catch up some time. What's the esoteric limestone round your way like over winter, does it seep or does it stay dry?
slinky wizard 20 Oct 2014
In reply to robin mueller: hi Robin some of the limestone stays dry i have a few interesting projects to point you at!! Come over any time. dave

Mike Stretford 20 Oct 2014
In reply to efrance24234: Got my copy on Saturday (after ordering mid-Friday afternoon).

Not used it in anger yet but the layout is great and the maps look well presented (pet niggle of mine). Looking forward to years of exploration.... there's loads of places I'd never heard of!

robin mueller 21 Oct 2014

Brilliant, glad you like the maps - I experimented with several styles before I found one that I thought worked best.

Enjoy your explorations!

Alan Bates 21 Oct 2014

Good stuff Robin, I know you've put a hell of a lot of work in there. Is there an interview with JP?

Will be buying my copy soon
 robin mueller 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Alan Bates:

Thanks Alan! And thanks to you and John for the Bull Stones info. It's a fantastic place and deserves to be more widely known.

I didn't get round to asking JP for an interview in the end, though I did get a pic of him at Cardwell. I have got interviews with two other Johns though!

There are a few people who I would have liked to interview but didn't. Maybe I'll see about doing these on the blog at some point, or maybe (who knows!) in a future edition...

robin mueller 25 Oct 2014

Back to Cow's Mouth again on saturday - all welcome!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...