UKC

moon warrior or snap bun?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 patsaunders 21 Mar 2018

which pad? or any others around the same size you recommend........

Si dH 21 Mar 2018
In reply to patsaunders:

I had this dilemma a while back. I went for an Ocun Moonwalk, no regrets.

DamonRoberts 22 Mar 2018
In reply to patsaunders:

I have a Snap Bun, and think its really good, but my only real point of comparison is the Metolius Session. Its an excellent pad to fall on, average for storing stuff in and is annoying to to carry as the straps are mounted quite low down, so is a bit top heavy. Its also heavy if you're planning on travelling with it. 

Alternatively, the DMM highball is very discounted at the moment here: https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/dmm-highball-crashpad-crash-pad

Massively discounted today, plus £5 if you sign up for the newsletter. 

yodadave 22 Mar 2018
In reply to patsaunders:

I would recommend organic pads, I genuinely think the foam is a better quality and the shell is bomber.

DMM doesn't inspire on either of these factors.

Snaps look nice but i've never fallen on one

the moons design puts me off, it looks faffy for moving between problems. The ones i've used had good foam properties but not better than organic.

mop449 22 Mar 2018
In reply to patsaunders:

I literally went through this dilemma last weekend! I chose the Moon Warrior purely because i prefer the way that the strap covering system works. It means that you can store stuff more securely in the pad while it's on your back, and it's less faff to cover the straps than to remover them as with the Snap Bun design.

IainWhitehouse 22 Mar 2018
In reply to yodadave:

I can't comment on the foam quality of Moon because I haven't used them for many years but Snap foam quality is usually very good indeed, just as good as Organic.

Moon's strap system is very neat but I've never felt the need to totally remove the straps on my pads, just disconnect the top and pull the rest aside. I think you can do this on pretty much all pads nowadays.

In reply to patsaunders:

The foam in the newer Warrior is better than the Saturn (top pieces are different) but its a ball ache having to keep them un-foldered (even though they get used 4-5 times a week), I found the DDM a bit weak (sustainability a little poor) but i've heard good things about snap and when I get another one down the line ill go with Organic, I'd say they are the best on the market at the moment.

scragrock 30 Mar 2018
In reply to patsaunders:

Ok as a Highland Boulderer-{Thus the mats i have tried get very rough treatment} i would recommend Moon, Here is why-

The Positives-

• large landing area{compared to other pads}.
  • Good Foam...Nearly the best on the market.
  • the best strap system out there. Keeps your straps DRY on wet/boggy ground.
  • Very durable,Years worth of use{Weekly} and still going strong.
  • Has NO hinge so No weakness.

The Negatives-  

1. Expensive{i think worth it}
  2. Getting replacement straps, foam or casing is almost as expensive as buying a new mat. COME ON Moon sort this out. 
  3. Not great for fitting between those narrow Font Boulder like a 3 ply mat.

Hope this helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...