UKC

Most ticked F7A Boulder Problem in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afx22 02 Jan 2019

I was wondering what the most ticked F7A boulder problem is in the UK. 

I assume it's The Green Traverse at The Plantation.  Does anyone know?

Ally Smith 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

If you search 8a.poo then the most climbed peak 7A's are:

The Green Traverse (f7A)

Gorilla Warfare (f7A)

then

Trackside (f7A)

Will Hunt 02 Jan 2019
In reply to afx22:

Bear in mind that most of the people ticking The Green Traverse won't have done The Green Traverse.

Jus 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Will Hunt:

that old chestnut!

petegunn 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Will Hunt:

Over 120 DNF in the logs

Offwidth 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Jus:

It's not an old chestnut. Plenty of problems have rules. You either do it properly or delude yourself with a tick (known as The Green Traversty... maybe this should be added to the UKC logbook to make it clear).

OP afx22 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Will Hunt:

Are the rules that you’re not allowed the slopey top or is there more to it?

I’ve only played on it the once and that was my interpretation.

Post edited at 16:42
 Mike Highbury 02 Jan 2019
In reply to afx22:

> Are the rules that you’re not allowed the sloppy too or is there more to it?

Well, let's put it this way:  youtube.com/watch?v=alwm0U29bV0&

Apols if you know this guy

Jus 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Does the confusion not come from a guidebook error?

Jus 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

What are the rules btw?

ChrisBrooke 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Jus:

I think it's: no heel-hooks at the start and you must match the low crimp rail. 

But I could be wrong. It's not the sort of thing I can get excited about.

Mike Highbury 02 Jan 2019
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> I think it's: no heel-hooks at the start and you must match the low crimp rail. 

> But I could be wrong. It's not the sort of thing I can get excited about.

Oh, but you should; you really should. 

Jon Stewart 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Jus:

> What are the rules btw?

Do it the easiest way.

(For me, this is to drop down to the rail and pop up left, feet on smears, which means I have an official "official" tick recorded in my brain and validated online by the National Association of Beta Nazis...but it's no easier using other methods, so the rules thing is even more pointless than it at first appears.)

Graeme Hammond 02 Jan 2019

In reply:

Depends who you ask and which guide you use. The OTE  (1994) and the Rockfax 1998/2000 both call what most people the green traverse Dope on a Slope with the Green Traverse starting further round to the Right before joining Dope. I can't believe this bit has been done without heels. Modern guides list these problems with the names swapped round.

The 2nd part depending on who you ask but most people/guides say you use everything (the lettered holds?) but don't specify the obvious bit (?) that the top of the block is out so no hands or heels on the top!

There are plenty of variations only using certain holds/missing some out or insisting you drop down completely onto the low rail.

danm 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

When I was trying Green Traverse, I chastised my mate for using a heel on one of the starting handholds. A dude stood nearby laughed and said it was fine as long as you didn't use the top of the block. He was Martin Veale, and as it's his problem, he probably gets to say what the rules are. Avoiding the low rail is a different matter, reaching across and missing it out is Ron's Reach - a different problem but a similar grade.

UKB Shark 02 Jan 2019
In reply to danm:

Quite. Dropping down to the rail and powering back up defines the original problem. 

Jon Stewart 02 Jan 2019
In reply to UKB Shark:

Hang on. I thought "no heals" was your middle name? 

UKB Shark 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Heels along with hands on the top of the boulder are obviously out of bounds on the original Green traverse though you need them for the Full Green. Using a heel at the drop down at the very end of the traverse is ok too IMO though I don’t use it. I always thought that a heel on the starting jug was off limits as its virtually at the top of the boulder but will obviously defer to Martin Veale if he thinks it’s ok as stated above.

Jon Stewart 02 Jan 2019
In reply to UKB Shark:

But doesn't using a heel on the starting hold negate "powering back up"?

Which would almost start to imply not only that you had been wrong in the past, but also that the error was quite fundamental.

I appreciate that this could be interpreted as inflammatory.

UKB Shark 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

You still have to match the low finger rail before going back up. 

Will Hunt 02 Jan 2019
In reply to afx22:

It's a little known fact that you can only climb The Green Traverse at Stanage if you pay council tax in postcode S6. Any sequence deployed by somebody from outside the Green Traverse Zone will be pulled up on some infraction by a properly accredited GTZ resident.

ChrisBrooke 02 Jan 2019
In reply to Will Hunt:

Any chance that could stretch to S7?

In reply to Offwidth:

So it's an eliminate?

In reply to Will Hunt:

Blimey

I’ve done it from S10 and S7, but not when I lived in S6. Live in S32 now, so I guess I’ll never get the official tick.

UKB Shark 03 Jan 2019
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

> So it's an eliminate?

You got it

Will Hunt 03 Jan 2019
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Sorry, back around.

Mick Ward 03 Jan 2019

> I’ve done it from S10 and S7, but not when I lived in S6. Live in S32 now, so I guess I’ll never get the official tick.

Well I've only done it the S7 way, so clearly no tick for me!

But then again, unless one has done it before Martin's wintry, critical gaze, followed by the most tiny smile of amused approval, can one really say that one has done it at all?

And no heel-hooking!!!

Maybe my tick's back on again (and maybe it isnt'...)

Mick

john arran 03 Jan 2019
In reply to Will Hunt:

I know heel hooking is criminal, but how about a crafty toe hook, as long as it isn't on the top, I match on the crimp, have an S8 postcode and start around the corner in Burbage?

In reply to Mick Ward:

Hi Mick,

with the eliminate police patrolling, if you de focus your eyes it feels like 1983 all over again,

i think it was Ron who told me that Top was out and toe hooks were ‘in if you need to’ and who are we to question that?

paul

Mick Ward 04 Jan 2019

Hi Paul,

I think I've got the 'Ron was there' tick as well! Now this certainly used to be easy, if you went to the Plantation but, as 'the world's worst boulderer' (yup - it's official), I think I've only been on (what we laughingly call) the Green Traverse twice. The first time was 'cos Will Perrin wanted to do it and we saw Martin; the second time, there was only Big Ron and me (yes, I know, I know... from the sublime to the ridiculous) on the crag.

I love the Grimer tale about doing that traverse on the big boulder (is it the Pebble?) Egged on by his mates, as he approached the corner, he muttered, "Arms, do your stuff!" Grabbed the corner in triumph, only to be confronted by Big Ron coming round it from the other side, wagging his finger roughishly and giving a reproving, "Tut, tut!"  To everyone's delight, poor ole Grimer went bright red with embarrassment.

Who says bouldering's boring?

Have a great year!

Mick

Jus 04 Jan 2019

I've always done it the Ron's Reach method with no heels or toe hooks. 

I've always understood I should drop down and match the low rail for the proper Green Traverse, but I've never done it that way.

Will Hunt 04 Jan 2019
In reply to afx22:

Sorry, no S7 extensions. I have never lived in Sheffield, as you can tell from this documentary footage.

youtube.com/watch?v=jDP7F9Z8y8g&

Mutl3y 04 Jan 2019
In reply to afx22:

vimeo.com/23612847

Lagers’ excellent video is essential viewing for anyone concerned about what is, and isn’t, GT. 

Will Hunt 04 Jan 2019
In reply to Mutl3y:

Excellent. It's not the first time I've been called tall and lazy.

paul mitchell 17 Jan 2019
In reply to afx22:

Ron's Reach? Surely a misnomer.Not remotely a reach for the tall Fawcett.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...