UKC

New features on UKClimbing: Lisa Rands, VBouldering..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Courtesy of Mick Ryan and Jo, we now have three new features on UKClimbing:
-an exclusive interview with Lisa Rands, by Heath Norton, who set up VBouldering magazine (which you can order online or buy at Rock+Run shops); plus a PDF of the interview from the mag, which looks much better than HTML ever could; see it at http://www.ukclimbing.com/caff/features/vbould-rands.html

-Mick introducing the mag and explaining what it's about at
http://www.ukclimbing.com/caff/features/vbouldering1.html

-Jo's review of the first issue which is titled "Hot Chicks Who Climb". Hmm, wonder what she'll make of it? Find out at http://www.ukclimbing.com/caff/features/vboulder-rev.html

Enjoy..
Charles
Randy Slapp 14 Mar 2002
In reply to Charles Arthur, UKC Editor:

You can also see a review of V Bouldering (1st issue) on

http://www.ukbouldering.com
 Tom Briggs 14 Mar 2002

This mag is hilarious - can you imagine a British mag publishing a feature called 'How to climb like a girl' or 'Hot chicks who climb'.
Lucy E 14 Mar 2002
Well, Jo Purslow & I are writing an article about UK women boulderers for ote - can't imagine the title Hot Bouldering Brit Chicks going down too well though!!! But its a thought....

Interested in Jo's opinion - can you e-mail me? Cheers

Lucy
Ian Hill 14 Mar 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: with "How to climb like a girl" they're trying to make a serious point to us muscle bound boys to use technique rather than just cranking...curious though in that case to use the muscle bound Ms Tiff...but at least she kept her top on...
 Matt 14 Mar 2002
Is mick american, or has he been attending a 'how to sound american' evening course at his local college?
Mag looked alright.
Andy Robinson 14 Mar 2002
In reply to Lucy E:
'Hot Bouldering Brit Chicks going down'

Dunno, could be a winner.......
FH 14 Mar 2002
In reply to Andy Robinson:

Perhaps an article called "Boulderes wives"
brendonTendon 14 Mar 2002
In reply to Randy Slapp:

yeah, and our review was up well over a month ago! pah, we're keepin it real man!
 Michael Ryan 14 Mar 2002
In reply to brendonTendon:

It was Brendon...but it's very short and doesn't tell you much. I think Jo's is a lot better.

M
johncoxmysteriously 14 Mar 2002
In reply to Mick - Rockfax USA:

Oh good. More about bouldering. Just what we need.

Good read, though, and our heroine seems like a sound lass. Bizarre notion of the interviewer's about US women not bouldering because it's too dangerous. Wonder how he thinks they manage to drive to the crag? Still, you can't be too careful.

Is that a trashcan or a chalkbag underneath Lisa R on Plains High Drifter? If it's the former, colour me impressed. If it's the latter, I'm also impressed, but more with the size of the chalkbags over there than with the height of the problem.
 Michael Ryan 14 Mar 2002
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I think it's a trashcan sized chalbag John.

M
francoise 14 Mar 2002
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I am a French woman and I also find it too dangerous. And
I drive veeeery slowly.
Randy Slapp 15 Mar 2002

Short and doesn't tell you much? A little like the mag then Mick?

Have you suddnely come over all Ali G - or been reading Jimbo Kimber's article on Portland bouldering 'ma brutha'.

What are you on about ya pimpin' beeatch?
brendonTendon 15 Mar 2002

Oooh, get her!!! I was only joking, and anyway, length isn't everything Mick, as you were saying yourself only the other day...

Randy Slapp 15 Mar 2002
In reply to brendonTendon:
BO Selecta!!!!!!
francoise 15 Mar 2002

The same approach could be applied to other climbing mags: feature real people as well as stars, find an 80 year old climbing, etc...
 gingerkate 15 Mar 2002
In reply to Lucy E: I think it's a great mag. I really like the way it manages to be both lustful('hot chicks...' etc) and supportive.
Nice!
 gingerkate 15 Mar 2002
In reply to francoise: Yes! The UKclimbing mags are ignoring a massive potential market.....do they do so deliberately, or are they too short sighted to have noticed?
Sarah 15 Mar 2002
I've always assumed mags are genuinely too short-sighted to notice. The mtb mags are the same - cliquey, in jokes, no apparent interest in the bulk of the readership. The same old problems with 'elites'. In contast,Runners World has reader participation & features all the way through. (Not employee, just a fan!)
johncoxmysteriously 15 Mar 2002
In reply to francoise:

Scary, possibly - subjective thing. But dangerous? Get real. Check out the statistics for bouldering fatalities last year and compare them to those for mountaineering.
 gingerkate 15 Mar 2002
In reply to Sarah: Yes, other sports don't just focus on their elites, do they? Do you reckon we need a new mag? I mean, if the established ones are just going to self-absorbedly crimp up their ivory towers, maybe something new is needed?
Jo: nice review, btw!
John Cox who should have made th effort to track down them thar cookies by now : 'dangerous' doesn't
equate with'deadly'?
johncoxmysteriously 15 Mar 2002
In reply to gingerkate:

>Yes, other sports don't just focus on their elites, do they?<

They don't? When I read footie, cricket, etc. mags (also chess and bridge) I see very little about grass roots ands lots about the top performers. and frankly that's what I want, and also I think what the consumer wants. Of course climbing's a bit more of a participation sport than those.

Dangerous doesn't equal dealy, I agree. If you're frightened of twisting your ankle, bouldering is definitely way too risky.
 gingerkate 15 Mar 2002
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: 'bit more of a participation sport'....er, yes, John, just a tad......
Billy the Kid 18 Mar 2002
In reply to Lucy E:
Couple of title suggestions
'A Womans Touch'
'Lady and the Crank'
'Belle Rock'
'Women Who Rock'

Hpe these help Lucy and Jo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...