UKC

old,old very old magazine articles...help?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy w bloc 07 Aug 2017
I'm doing that middle aged thing whereby I'm trying to remember things that I have forgotten! I can't remember my first cat's name, but I do remember an old articles I would love to read again. It;s going way back, probably an old Mountain, probably from the 80's, it featured a guy with a headband, white trousers stating on top of a boulder, the article was about bouldering, It was American and I remember it being the first inspiring article I ever read solely about bouldering. I think it was about Jim Holloway.

If anyone can help, maybe scan a page fro me I would be very grateful.
 Ian Parsons 07 Aug 2017
In reply to andy w bloc:

It doesn't appear to be the piece you're looking for, but John Sherman's "Pumping Sandstone: The Sequel" article about Colorado's Front Range bouldering - in Climbing #130 [Feb/Mar 1992] - has quite a lot about Holloway, his problems and the attempts by various local experts to repeat them. Do you have it?
OP andy w bloc 07 Aug 2017
In reply to Ian Parsons:

I don't have it no, sounds interesting.
 Pedro50 07 Aug 2017
In reply to andy w bloc:
Just skimmed through Mountain mags 27 onwards and can't spot it off hand.
Post edited at 13:47
 Ian Parsons 07 Aug 2017
In reply to andy w bloc:

Just PMed you; try sending one to me if it doesn't arrive.
 Pedro50 07 Aug 2017
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> It doesn't appear to be the piece you're looking for, but John Sherman's "Pumping Sandstone: The Sequel" article about Colorado's Front Range bouldering - in Climbing #130 [Feb/Mar 1992] - has quite a lot about Holloway, his problems and the attempts by various local experts to repeat them. Do you have it?

Reproduced in "Sherman Exposed" anthology published 1999 by "The Mountaineers". Sadly no pictures.
In reply to andy w bloc:

Oh, you're talking about some fairly *recent* articles! I'll have a look.
OP andy w bloc 07 Aug 2017
In reply to John Stainforth:

Well quite old! thankyou.
OP andy w bloc 08 Aug 2017
In reply to John Stainforth:

Ok I've thought some more about this and I'm pretty sure the issue will be somewhere between 1980 - 1983.
 Greg Lucas 08 Aug 2017
In reply to andy w bloc:
Hi, You might be thinking of a Pat Ament article about Christian Griffith. Griffith was a very young boulderer and I remember Ament doing a piece on him - with a photograph similar to what you describe - for his 'Ideas' column in Mountain. This would have been in the early 80s. I'm sure I have it somewhere. I'm away from home at the moment but will be back in a day or so. I'll have a look.
Post edited at 11:01
 Ian Parsons 08 Aug 2017
In reply to andy w bloc:

Mountain 74, "Ideas" column? Written by Ament, and features both Holloway and Griffith. It's on its way; see what you think.
 Greg Lucas 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Yes, that's the article I'm thinking of. Well done. But I seem to remember (and don't ask why) that Griffith's trousers were not white but black.
 Ian Parsons 08 Aug 2017
In reply to Greg Lucas:

Yes - black with large white knee patches. He's the one standing on a boulder, and wearing a head scarf - pirate style - rather than a headband. Holloway's wearing a white cap back-to-front, which looks like it might be a headband in one photo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...