UKC

Recommend Me - Bouldering Mat and Peak Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Smithy_P 04 Apr 2013
Hi,

This has probably been extensively discussed on here, but after returning from a trip to Font with some mates want to get outside more doing some bouldering especially in the peak.

So could anyone recommend me a good bouldering mat, been looking at the new wild country mats, alpkit and edelrid mats mainly due to price but have only experience of moon and red chili mats? Also there seems to be a multitude of guide books about but was wondering which would be best suited to my sort of level, as I boulder around v3-v4 indoors and managed a 5b's whilst in font?

Cheers in advance
 JakeWShaw 04 Apr 2013
In reply to Smithy_P:
Peak District Bouldering (2011 edition) contains the best range of problems across the full grade range.

In terms of Mats if you're looking for best value then Alpkit is the way to go the quality is still there and at a much lower price.
 Steve nevers 04 Apr 2013
In reply to JakeWShaw:
> (In reply to Smithy_P)

> In terms of Mats if you're looking for best value then Alpkit is the way to go the quality is still there and at a much lower price.

I'd agree with this.
Got a Phud the other day for £65 inc. P&P, delivered within 24 hours and is a nice sturdy bit of kit.
In reply to Smithy_P:

I've been wondering the same thing, the Alpkit range looks good though. The Phud looked a little small to me, how is it?
 Steve nevers 04 Apr 2013
In reply to The Bouldering Badger: Its something like 1m x 1m, most other mats seems to be roughly the same size really, think the biggest is made by SNAP at around 120cm x 110cm?

Its a nice size to be fair though, decent & very firm foam, although i imagine with use it may soften a little, the bottoms not rubberized but team it up with a scrap of tarp and you'll have enough of a dry area and mat for most problems, wouldn't use it on its own for highball stuff but wouldn't use just one pad for that kind of thing anyway.

All in all at that price its a steal, if you decide afterwards you'd like something a bit more fancy it'll make a great second mat.
In reply to Steve nevers:
Cheers Steve, I've just ordered one! It was the photo that looked small I think, so cheap!
 patsaunders 04 Apr 2013
In reply to Smithy_P: The BMC guides for each area are great as they have bouldering and circuits in.
 Steve nevers 08 Apr 2013
In reply to The Bouldering Badger: How are you finding it?
OP Smithy_P 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Smithy_P: Cheers guys went for an Alpkit mat in the end, looking forward to trying it out at the weekend
In reply to Steve nevers: It's really good. Haven't been able to take it out as much as I'd like due to writing my dissertation but it's really good quality for the price.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...