UKC

Torridon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jasmineryan 23 May 2022

Looking go to torridon for a few days at some point to boulder. Any tips on campsites to stay at and good problems to try (6a and under and we only have one mat)? Thinking of getting the boulder scotland guidebook because I'm keen to explore more areas of Scotland too. Is that a good guidebook or is it better to get one for torridon specifically?

Arms Cliff 23 May 2022
In reply to Jasmineryan:

There’s a free campsite in Torridon walking distance from the main boulder cluster Torridon Campsite with toilets and hot water. 

https://goo.gl/maps/nEzJbQgYPqk1RQGS9

I think boulder Scotland will have enough detail for what you’re after 

Sherlock 23 May 2022
In reply to Jasmineryan:

Yeah, free campsite within 10 minutes walk of the boulders.

The Boulder Scotland guide has a reasonable selection for most of Scotland but the local guide has more detail, obviously. Both books have plenty to go at for a couple of days.There is a useful update at North West Outdoors blog. The cafe might have a few copies of the local guide but check the opening times 01445 791400. If you run out of stuff to do just walk up the hill a bit, FA's of all grades but I've chained a rabid dog at the base of all my projects so stay away from these.

Plenty of stuff in the grade range you want too many to mention but comfortable with one pad.You won't be disappointed with Red Groove, Zigzag,  Celtic Knot, Terrace Arete , Slopey Ripples and Twiglets all on great rock with flat landings.

But midge season is coming.There were a few floating around the garden last night, not quite biting but around. Both the campsite and boulders have a well deserved reputation for midge savagery and this can completely scupper a trip if you're unlucky.

Have a good time!

Edit. There is also a nearby YH but don't know what the score is with that. 01445 791264

Post edited at 09:32
 Jon Read 23 May 2022
In reply to Sherlock:

The campsite restaurant for resident Culicoides was definitely open for dining the other weekend, already.

While the campsite is free, there is a donations box in the toilets. No vans permitted on site (or fires! Seems people can't read), but they can be parked next to it at the "Countryside Centre".

Sherlock 23 May 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

There's often a breeze further up the hill but I'm guessing you know that.

Haven't stayed at the campsite for years but was aware it was getting abused. Sad.

jack_44 23 May 2022
In reply to Jasmineryan:

The campsite or toilets aren't free, they rely on honest payments (not donations) to keep going. There's a collection box in the toilets.

Sherlock 23 May 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Fair point. Not used either for years.

OP Jasmineryan 23 May 2022
In reply to Jasmineryan:

Thankyou for all the advice. Think I'm going to buy boulder scotland guidebook as a start.  

I'm assuming the campsite is just one where you turn up and can't book it? Was looking to come over on the 2nd and 3rd of June but every campsite I've looked at so far (in other areas) has been fully booked (seems everyone wants to go camping for the long weekend!) Don't want to risk driving all the way up there and not being able to get a spot (our tent is also a huge 5 man tent). 

Sherlock 23 May 2022
In reply to Jasmineryan:

Just turn up. It's a sometimes boggy field, no pitches marked.Some people might even call it 'wild' camping these days (sigh).

I would be very surprised if it was completely full but you might not get the best pitch. If it is rammed it's possible to camp in the woods just back down the road on the opposite side of the road.Toilets still very handy.The midges will probably be even worse there.....

Arms Cliff 23 May 2022
In reply to jack_44:

> The campsite or toilets aren't free, they rely on honest payments (not donations) to keep going. There's a collection box in the toilets.

Thanks for clarifying this! I couldn’t remember as it’s years since I went. 

Jon Read 23 May 2022
In reply to jack_44:

> The campsite or toilets aren't free, they rely on honest payments (not donations) to keep going. There's a collection box in the toilets.

I was under the impression the site was owned by the Highland council, and it was free to use (as are the public toilets), but the sign suggests donations are appreciated to support it. I'm sure the wording on the box said as much, and it seems to concur with the council's website https://www.highland.gov.uk/info/379/countryside_facilities_and_wildlife/44...  

I'll have to take a closer look at the box next time I put some money in it  

Edit: looks like ownership transferred to Highlife Highland from the council at some point, so *really* need to look at the small print!

Post edited at 16:54
 icehockeyhair 23 May 2022
In reply to Sherlock:

> If it is rammed it's possible to camp in the woods just back down the road on the opposite side of the road.Toilets still very handy.The midges will probably be even worse there.....

Oh yes, I've made that mistake before - camping in the trees near a river. Worst midging I've ever had.

JimbotheScot 23 May 2022
In reply to Jasmineryan:

Mice as well by the wall, eat your tingz

DaveHK 23 May 2022
In reply to Jon Read:

> Edit: looks like ownership transferred to Highlife Highland from the council at some point, so *really* need to look at the small print!

Highlife Highland basically are the council: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Life_Highland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...