UKC

Troy access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Obi Wan 29 Mar 2021
Thread moved from Bouldering to Crag Access

Just seen the latest access notes for Troy on here, saying to approach from visitor centre. RAD says weekdays can still park on the lane. Has anyone been lately? Does anyone know what the right thing to do is? Troy Quarry

Post edited at 21:40
 Derek Furze 29 Mar 2021
In reply to Obi Wan:

Visitor centre?  Never seen that!  Always parked down the lane, but not been for a year

OP Obi Wan 29 Mar 2021
In reply to Derek Furze:

Me too. Didn't even know there was a visitor centre but that's what the crag notes now say.

mrphilipoldham 29 Mar 2021
In reply to Obi Wan:

Haven't been since December but parked on the lane no problem. 

A previous visit in September found the lane busy so drove up to the visitor centre (next right, heading towards Blackburn) and walked in from there which took about 20-25 minutes if I remember. Be aware the car park is locked up though so be back before it closes!

OP Obi Wan 29 Mar 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Thanks, will try the lane and hope for the best.

Bulls Crack 30 Mar 2021
In reply to Obi Wan:

A wooden horse usually does the trick....

Paul Evans 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Obi Wan:

Thanks for raising this (and for checking access before going). I'll check in with Les Ainsworth (NW area access rep) and update this post, and RAD / Access Notes, with latest advice. I have parked at the visitor centre, and it's a pleasant walk, but obvs not as convenient as the lane. 

Cheers

Paul E, BMC NW Area Sec.

Paul Evans 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Paul Evans:

Actually, having checked the BMC RAD, the UKC approach notes omit some key info. The BMC RAD entry on parking and approach starts by saying - 

"Sensitive parking is important to maintain good relationships with local residents and continued access to the crag.

Weekdays: if there is sufficient space, park considerately on the lane without parking in front of any properties or where access might be blocked. If this is not possible, follow the arrangements for weekend visits.

Weekends & bank holidays: - <same text as UKC>"

I will still check with Les that this is still current, and I'll report back. 

Cheers

Paul

Paul Evans 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Paul Evans:

And here is the latest on Troy Access from Les Ainsworth - 

Parking in the lane leading to Troy - Currently (March 2021) a chain is being placed across the car park some time after about 3.30 pm. The farmer who does this has been leaving the chain loose if there are cars still parked, but do not rely on this. If you are going to leave before 3pm, use the car park. But if you may be there later, the best thing to do is to park in the lane, but DO NOT park in front of people's house or blocking entrance to parking etc. The folk in the lane are very positive about climbers so please please park sensibly.

If the lane is full, park at the Clough Head Visitor Centre and cafe, which is located on the Grane Road about 1km on the Blackburn side of the normal parking. This closes and is locked at 5pm, so if you are likely to stay later, park at one of two laybys nearer towards Blackburn. From the car park, follow a good path parallel to main road keeping right at minor paths to a T- junction near lake. Turn right, keeping parallel to main road and then drop down onto the normal approach path to Troy Quarry. Allow 15 mins longer to reach the quarry by this approach.

Any questions, or access issues at any NW crags, please let me know. I've posted this text as a suggested update to the UKC instructions, and we're also having RAD updated to this latest version. 

Cheers

Paul E, BMC NW Area Sec.

Robert Durran 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Obi Wan:

I believe a wooden horse is the preferred method.

Ian Parsons 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

I think that particular one has already bolted!

Lankyman 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> I think that particular one has already bolted!

But what about, Helen?

Ian Parsons 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Presumably still lunching on those thousand chips. "Nosebag Helen", as she was known locally.

OP Obi Wan 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> "Nosebag Helen", as she was known locally.

That made me spit my tea!

OP Obi Wan 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Paul Evans:

Thanks Paul.

As it happens, when I arrived I saw the little car park was open and other cars using it. Couldn't see any signs saying it was private or not allowed so parked there (where I have parked for years) presuming it was still ok.

At around 3pm, a kind random chap, ran in to the quarry and told all climbers present that the land owner locks the gate between 3:30 and 4pm.

We ran back to the cars for 3:25 to find the gates being locked already. Close call.

I spoke to to the bloke who was locking up and asked if parking was permitted at all and he said no. He said "it's private land and nobody can park here" claiming the police dished out tickets to cars using it recently. 

I did (diplomatically) point out that there was no signage making it clear but he says there is(??).

Anyway, I made my apologies and he seemed ok (let us out anyway), but he must have locked at least 6 in behind us.

Needless to say it was a close call. I would say avoid the car park, use the lane or visitors center.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...