UKC

Two days in font

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yoshi.h 21 May 2018

Sorry if this has been done to death but my searches didn't yield much. I have a work trip planned in September to Paris and want to break off with a few colleagues to spend two and a half days bouldering in font. The group climbs 6's and low to mid 7's. We are all font first timers.

Which areas do you recommend for the grade range? Any must try problems/areas? It'd be great to try some iconic climbs. I'm personally interested in climbing powerful overhangs and crimpy face climbs if that narrows anything down as I know there are endless options.

What places/areas do you recommend to stay in based on the above? We're hoping to find a cheap hostel or camp out (designated areas only as I understand). Having a nearby grocers for supplies would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Fishmate 21 May 2018
In reply to yoshi.h:

There are camping options to be found online and the F1 hostels. You could rent a gite for €15-20 p/n p/p (there are some exceptional options if you look about). That way you'd have good facilities and a good place to rest. I'm assuming you'll be blasting your way through those 2 1/2 days.

It is worth getting a guidebook to help narrow your search for suitable problems, as you seem specific in what you are looking for. The Jingo Wobbly seems to be the best cover all option at present. For a first trip, I'd suggest pick a large sector and climb. You'll all get spanked in a good way and being selective kind of misses the point of Font for first timers (that is just my opinion, I know others just go for classics).

Franchard Isatis and connected sectors (Cuisiniere, Sablons, Hautes-Plaines etc) are quite expansive and have lots of what you are looking for. Bas Cuvier similarly (Cuvier Rempart, 5 mins from Bas Cuvier is fantastic also and sees much less traffic than its neighbour but the lines are in good condition this year). Le Cul de Chien and Roche aux Sabots are also good for short trip visits.

Slightly less popular are Bois Ronds, Canche Aux Merciers and Drei Zinnen in the Trois Pignons area, West of Font town. Elephant, Maunoury, Dame Jouanne more to the south, but many of the problems may be too high for some of your group. 

There will, unsurprisingly, be a decent supermarket in every town around Font. They tend to close at 20:00 hrs. Good pizza to be found en route between Franchard and Trois Pignons (just before a roundabout, Milly la Foret) which is a Font rite of passage for some. Font town itself has plenty of options for all tastes.

Wherever you choose you wont be disappointed unless you don't like climbing

Enjoy!

OP yoshi.h 22 May 2018
In reply to Fishmate:

Brilliant. Really appreciate the thorough response. I'll be sure to look in to the options you've given.
I'm already used to getting spanked on Southern Sandstone so expect no less

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...