UKC

Using a tree to top out a boulder problem legit or no?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Billy OS 15 May 2023

I did sieze the day a 6C+ in hanham Bristol and instinctively pulled on a tree over the lip to top out the first time i did it. I then wondered if this was considered a legitimate tactic or not? (I get it doesnt really matter ether way)

The top out on this particular climb isnt a difficult one or one that is a notably difficult part of the climb but was interested in the general opinion of people on this matter

Cheers

enjoy

No match for climb id:619556

Is pulling on a tree legitimate when toping out a boulder

Legit
Not legit
Login to vote
 JLS 15 May 2023
In reply to Billy OS:

No, not legit. That variation is called Seize the Tree and is only rated as 6A+.

OP Billy OS 15 May 2023
In reply to JLS:

Haha thats exactly the response i deserve

string arms 16 May 2023
In reply to Billy OS:

Depends on whether it was a treemendous climb or not. 😀

AlanLittle 16 May 2023
In reply to Billy OS:

One of the problems on my regular circuit at Pex used to have a finish that involved blind reach over the top to a perfect tree root jug.

Imagine my delight when I returned a few years later, casually popped my hand over and ... no more root! Nothing but flat sandy sandstone.

steveriley 16 May 2023
In reply to AlanLittle:

I had the same at another Cheshire Sandstone venue, lets just say I was the last to use that particular root.

In reply to Billy OS:

Doesn’t it depend if the root is part of the route or am I barking up the wrong tree. Think I should twig on and branch onto a different forum as it’s beginning to drain my sap so I’ll leave this one now........... 

Sorry........

Lankyman 16 May 2023
In reply to JLS:

> No, not legit. That variation is called Seize the Tree and is only rated as 6A+.

Should have called it 'Special Branch'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...