UKC

vegan / vegetarian boulderer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
maryvegan 30 May 2012
Hey just moved here from Canada... looking for some fellow vegan/vegetarian boulderers.

Cheers!
Mary
 Madden 30 May 2012
In reply to maryvegan: I don't personally know any vegans whatsoever, but I wish you luck in finding your oddly specific choice of climbing partner...

Also; I see you've posted practically this same post on 3 separate sections of the forum... You don't really need to.

Unless you're trolling, in which case you're going about it perfectly. Either way, good luck
In reply to Madden:

+1

gregor
In reply to maryvegan:

Sorry I can't help you, I climb exclusively with carnivores.
 Gordonbp 30 May 2012
In reply to maryvegan:
Not really sure how someone's life style should impact on climbing/bouldering....
In reply to Madden:
> (In reply to maryvegan) I don't personally know any vegans whatsoever, but I wish you luck in finding your oddly specific choice of climbing partner...

She's not that specific: veggies AND vegans. That said, if I was a veggie I would be scared of getting a filthy look if I met her with a cheese sandwich in my lunchbox.

JLS 30 May 2012
In reply to maryvegan:

This is Scotland! You'll be lucky to find someone who eats the recommended 5 items of fruit and veg a day, never mind a vegan...

Good luck see you a Dumby sometime.
 Robert Durran 30 May 2012
In reply to Gordonbp:
> (In reply to maryvegan)
> Not really sure how someone's life style should impact on climbing/bouldering....

I thought that the strong correlation between bouldering and other dubious lifestyle choices had been well established long ago.

Monk 31 May 2012
In reply to Madden:

Isn't John Gaskins vegan...
 Seb2007 31 May 2012
In reply to maryvegan:

I know a couple, send me a PM and I'll see if I can sory out some introductions. Where are you based?
 moo 31 May 2012
In reply to maryvegan:

I'm laughing ridiculously hard
 Scarab9 31 May 2012
In reply to maryvegan:

rather than taking the mick, serious question, how come your specifically looking for vegan/veggie boulders? I'm a veggie but it's never even crossed my mind that it should effect who I choose to climb with.

You might have genuine but not specified reasons such as just wanting to meet like minded people and if they share two trends with you then all the better, ust curious
 Stone Muppet 31 May 2012
Personally I prefer to go bouldering on rocks. Vegans and vegetarians tend to move or complain when you're trying to heel hook their shoulder while pulling up on their belt. Plus they're often quite skinny and can't really cope with my weight.
 Jaffacake 31 May 2012
In reply to maryvegan:

Will you accept someone who normally does eat meat and animal products but promises not to while they are bouldering with you?

How do you feel about using animals as aid if they are released unharmed afterwards?
 Robert Durran 31 May 2012
In reply to Jaffacake:
> How do you feel about using animals as aid if they are released unharmed afterwards?

........or using limpets as footholds (I actually think this is a serious ethical issue on some routes).

Old Skooled 01 Jun 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:
Lets of nice snippy replies, way to make someone feel welcome. She didn't say she wanted to climb exclusively with vegans; she's in a new country and would like to meet some like-minded people.

Mary, there are a few of us about, I've been climbing 34 years and vegan 23, during which I managed a pretty reasonable standard. Never heard that about John Gaskin but if you're looking for inspiration search Steph Davis or Natasha Barnes.
In reply to maryvegan:

Why even post if you have nothing constructive to say? Some people would like to meet fellow boulderers, and some want to meet fellow vegan boulderers. Surely its not a huge stretch of the imagination to think it might be nice to share lunch with someone on the trail that eats something you can eat too?

Just because you live a different lifestyle doesn't mean its OK to ridicule others.
yorkshire lass 02 Jun 2012
In reply to maryvega
when climbing, my mind is focussed, ,
nature is all around
I am at one with it ,why harm it
veganis,m is what some call it I say respct all
no problem with others,
I use leather slippers ,
it is a choice I make
really I should go bare feet
I could on power climbs , but not on delicate friction slabs; my speciallity
 Stone Muppet 02 Jun 2012
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:
> Why even post if you have nothing constructive to say?

What's unconstructive about the responses on here? Ok so Mary will have to be a little thick skinned (hey its the internet after all) but they're kind of making a point, if not directly, and a little humour never goes amiss! Except among vegans obviously
In reply to Stone Muppet:

Theres a difference between humour and just being unpleasant. I'm not religious, quite the opposite in fact, but if a christian wants to meet other christians with the same hobby as them thats fine with me. I don't feel the need to take time out of my day to make a post belittling their beliefs.
 Trangia 02 Jun 2012

I've just read through this thread. Maybe I'm thick skinned but I don't see any unpleasant or belittling posts, just some light hearted banter and genuine suprise at the rather unusual request, including one from a vegetarian. I suggest you need to lighten up a bit.

And to Mary - welcome to the UK. Don't be put off by a bit of light hearted internet banter, I think that you'll find most climbers/boulderers over here are a friendly bunch regardless of their beliefs and principles. Good luck in your search for like minded companions and get out there and enjoy our lovely rocks.
 bouldery bits 02 Jun 2012
In reply to maryvegan:

I use the ground bones of puppies as chalk and once used a pile of rotting steaks as a crash pad.

I even like milk in my tea.
In reply to Trangia:

^ I'm sure Mary is finding all this light hearted play an enjoyable read
maryvegan 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Old Skooled: aww. thanks for sticking up for me. : )
maryvegan 03 Jun 2012
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: Thanks for sticking up for me : )
maryvegan 03 Jun 2012
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant: I agree... : )
 bouldery bits 03 Jun 2012
> (In reply to Trangia)
>
> ^ I'm sure Mary is finding all this light hearted play an enjoyable read

U Mad Bro?
In reply to maryvegan:

Since you are back, many people would be curious to know, why specify vegetarian/began climbers? Would you climb with people that replied but who were not vegetarian or vegan? If not, what would be your reasons?

Cheers

Gregor
Wonko The Sane 03 Jun 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: You people are f*cking mental.

this girl has just posted asking to meet like minded people. She doesn't owe you or anyone else any kind of explanation for her wish to meet other vegans.

Outright nasty, the lot of you, not to mention a little unhinged.
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

Take a few deep breaths and calm down....

No one's said she owes anyone anything

I posted a polite question, free from any abusive language, which Mary is free to reply to or ignore

Im pretty sure she doesn't need your knight in shining armour impression to protect her,

Cheers

Gregor
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: Why assume I'm in any way worked up? It really is strange that if you post anything on the net written in strong terms........... some idiots assume it has somehow affected the writer in some personal way. It hasn't.

Your request for her reasons doesn't strike me as at all polite, the fact that it contains no swearing is irrelevent. The question itself is pretty f*cked up and quite non friendly.

Then we come to the old 'knight in shining armour' crap just because I've made the observation that a person has posted a quite reasonable request for like minded people and some idiots are dogging her to death over it. I'm not vegan, I've no interest in or time for veganism, but I don't consider it appropriate for me to request a perfect stranger's reasons for their life choices if they don't affect anyone else........... male or female.

Lol, I guess it was the bits where you used words like unhinged, mental and nasty gave the impression of an emotional response rather than a calm, logical one

But i'll take your word about it

I guess we have different opinions about what is polite. On an open forum, I think a calmly worded question made from genuine curiosity is fair enough. I'd have no problem with that if it was directed at me. It can be ignored, or engaged with as Mary sees fit.

Interesting that still only one of us it choosing to use offensive language though, and that is the person concerned about the friendliness of other peoples posts

Anyhow you've made your point. Mary, sorry if my question came across as offensive, please feel free to ignore it if you prefer,

Cheers

Gregor
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: I think you are mental. I seriously don't get why someone should be subjected to the spanish inqisition because they want to meet someone who is into the same stuff as them......... the mental bit comes in because you think it's ok and can't see that it is anything but friendly or polite.

Lol, you still give the impression of over reacting a little emotionally, if you consider one politely worded question to be the Spanish inquisition, and someone to be mental for being curious to understand about other people...

But anyway, this isn't going anywhere, we've both made our positions clear. The great thing about the internet is you can just ignore posts you don't want to engage with, and Mary is exercising that choice, fair play to her. Now all this spat is doing is serving to hijack her thread into a topic she clearly doesn't want to get involved in. Feel free to have the last word, if you are into that sort of thing, or involve the mods if you think its bullying,

Cheers

Gregor
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: It isn't one question and it wasn't aimed soley at you. Typing 'lol' doesn't make it appear more friendly or me worked up about it.
 Landy_Dom 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Jaffacake:
>
> Will you accept someone who normally does eat meat and animal products but promises not to while they are bouldering with you?

I like this. Seems a sensible and respectful suggestion?
 Thrudge 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Landy_Dom:
>
I'm proper psyched now to go out and buy a tin of dolphin-aggressive tuna.
andic 03 Jun 2012
In reply to maryvegan:

You won't get any sense whilst it's raining, and it's usually raining somewhere over here ; /

Used to climb with a vegan, are you close to sheffield?
 bpmclimb 03 Jun 2012
In reply to maryvegan:

Hi Mary. I've been both a vegan and a climber for a long time; same goes for my partner Clare. I wouldn't really call myself a boulderer - more into routes, mostly trad. We live in Bristol. Look us up if you're ever in the neighbourhood.

johnboybuchan 03 Jun 2012
In reply to maryvegan: I think the answer to why Mary want to climb with a vegan/veggie partner is easily explained by the responses posted here. Many meat eaters are fundermentally unpleasant people.
 Steve John B 03 Jun 2012
In reply to johnboybuchan:
> Many meat eaters are fundermentally unpleasant people.

Some meat eaters are nice, some aren't. Same goes for veggies/vegans/men/women etc!

To the OP - you don't say where you're based - might be useful to add a profile if you're looking to find climbing partners.

Cheers
 Steve John B 03 Jun 2012
In reply to Steve John B: Just seen your other post Mary - Aberdeen! Still might help to put that on your profile, you don't have to add any of the other stuff if you don't want to.
 Madden 03 Jun 2012
> Many meat eaters are fundermentally unpleasant people.

Wow.
 thommi 04 Jun 2012
In reply to Madden: I know! Wow! That's some fxxked up prejudiced shit right there aye?
 rallymania 04 Jun 2012

so

the large majority of people in the uk eat meat, therefore it stands to reason more of the normally unpleasant people you meet will be meat eaters

by that mode of analysis 100% of horrible people have blood in their veins, therefore many people with blood in their veins are horrible!

statistics eh?
maryvegan 09 Jun 2012
In reply to bpmclimb: Very cool... I will let u know if I am in the area. : ) Any good vegan rests in Bristol?
maryvegan 09 Jun 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane: agreed. : )
maryvegan 09 Jun 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: This Forum post really got a little carried away. Silly : P FYI: I would like to climb with other boulderers in the UK who are non veggie too. I'm new to the area... : )
Ffat Boi 09 Jun 2012
In reply to maryvegan:

I would like to thank everybody for their posts, It has been great entertainment reading them, whilst I had to work this last week.

MikeTS 10 Jun 2012
In reply to Ffat Boi:
She's from Canada. They say 'please' all the time there, and 'sorry' even when it's not their fault.
So I think this thread has been a good introduction to UK climbing culture for her. Weird sense of humour, a bit brutal, unapoligetic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...