UKC

Visit to Fontainebleau with kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
elcidcampeador 06 Jun 2019

I'm taking my three teenage kids on holiday to Fontainebleau, staying near Barbizon/Bas Cuvier. I want to take them climbing so I am wondering is there a particularly area for beginners, and how exactly does the circuit system work? Thanks for any advice.

petegunn 07 Jun 2019
In reply to elcidcampeador:

Most of the areas have easy circuits and routes so wherever you go there will be something to try for everyone. 

As for coloured circuits the Yellow circuits tend to be the easiest 2a - 3b.

Orange from 3a - 4b.

Blue from 4a - 5b.

Red 4c - 6b.

kingborris 07 Jun 2019

had a great day out at rocher des potets with some font first timers.  both yellow and orange circuits available and generally not too high or intimidating.  also really quiet.  

Enty 07 Jun 2019

The Jingo Wobbly Fun Bloc guide is really good for this sort of thing.

Enty

elcidcampeador 07 Jun 2019
In reply to Enty:

Thanks v much Enty

In reply to kingborris:

Thanks

In reply to petegunn:

Pete, that's great, many thanks

David

fried 07 Jun 2019

Rocher des potets is an excellent suggestion. I've been climbing in Font for 10 years and I always go back here at the beginning of a new season or when I'm taking out new climbers. I'd advise getting a guide book and/or map as the beginning of the circuits are not as easy to find as some others, though only 10 mins from the car park.

greg_may_ 07 Jun 2019

Another vote for Rocher des potets, very much a go to with our family.

Offwidth 08 Jun 2019

The best area I know by far is Feuillardiere  (Canche/ Telegraphe area) where there is a really good kids white and a ditto for the toddlers purple heart circuit, both with nothing high. There is also a good newish Yellow circuit which is yellow (ie mostly below f3). The white circuit is p.183 in the new Jingo Wobbly Fun guide (but you won't need any guidebook). Parking is on the big area on the left when heading west (towards Milly) on the D409, 500m after crossing the A6. The approach track heads south from the parking  with no navigation complications and is buggy and 'are we nearly there yet'  friendly being about a 300m flat walk.

sheavi07 09 Jun 2019

Franchard Haute Plaines has a nice unpolished orange circuit. Lovely setting, shady and quite. 

tjekel 12 Jun 2019

We did the rocher canon childrens ciruit with our six year old in spring and it was just great. Interestingly, most childrens cirxuit are marked white, not yellow. 

You can choose circuits here:, https://bleau.info/circuit-search, post a maximum grade and find an incredible lot. The map tool of the sector will get you an idea of the location.... 

Ramblin dave 12 Jun 2019

I'd second Rocher des Potets and Rocher Canon, and maybe add Rocher Fin - it's a bit more of a walk, but a beautiful spot and nice climbing.

Bas Cuvier might be worth avoiding, if only because the mess there can be a bit unsavoury.

As a general point, I'd try to manage expectations about "easy circuits" - even on a yellow circuit you'll get the odd thing which is so polished as to be almost impossible, or highball, or just quite hard, and quite a lot that's definitely proper technical climbing with the need for careful footwork and balance. Don't be put off, but also don't go in expecting a beginner circuit at font to be like a beginner circuit at a bouldering wall, ie a series of jug ladders to help nervous novices in trainers to build up confidence.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...