UKC

West Derby Cuttings, Liverpool - New Topo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pekkie 20 Mar 2019

West Derby Cuttings New topo with revised access details just in time for new outdoor season! Look on photos.

Post edited at 09:00
 Mick Ward 21 Mar 2019
In reply to Pekkie:

Hi Pete,

Good effort getting this out!

Mick

abr1966 21 Mar 2019
In reply to Pekkie:

Well done mate.....I recall looking at those cuttings when I lived near the Rocket, must be about 25 years ago! I did my first climbing...... at Pex Hill, around 35 years ago and all the many sandstone cuttings around Liverpool have always had great potential.....

OP Pekkie 21 Mar 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Thanks, mate. It's the closest crag to where I live in Woolton - just past the childrens' hospital where I spent many an evening waiting for my kids to be treated for various injuries. I was surprised on a visit to the Cuttings last year to see a. how neglected it had become but b. how good and quick-drying the rock was. Incidentally, have you checked out the Friends of Pex Hill site on facebook - you might identify some old comrades!

mattdennies 21 Mar 2019
In reply to Pekkie:

Solid effort, cheers mate. I live in Old Swan, so no excuse not give this a visit!

AlanLittle 21 Mar 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I used to stop off at Pex in the morning when I was commuting between Manchester and Liverpool. 

I assume the little bit of sandstone cutting at the north end of the cathedral garden is strictly, strictly forbidden? I never saw anybody else on it.

OP Pekkie 21 Mar 2019
In reply to AlanLittle:

The Cathedral Quarry - what a venue. Used to have interesting conversations with the ladies of the night patrolling Gambier Terrace (of Beatles fame) when you topped out. And even more interesting conversations with the junkies who used to gather at the base of the climbs like in one of 'Night of the Living Dead' movies. Then there was the cave used for Satanic gatherings - judging by the graffiti. Not to mention the excremental offerings. And the route that started from a gravestone and which you were terrified of falling off and splitting your difference. Ah memories...

steve taylor 21 Mar 2019
In reply to AlanLittle:

I climbed there in 85/86 and the sandstone blocks walls just to the north. Really enjoyed the climbing.

abr1966 21 Mar 2019

. Incidentally, have you checked out the Friends of Pex Hill site on facebook - you might identify some old comrades!

Cheers mate....I'll get one of my kids to show me on facebook!

Our regular early trips would be to jump in my mates dads car in Huyton....he worked in widnes and would drop us on the way....

Get pumped and knackered after about 2 hours so we'd watch the proper climbers whilst drinking Skol lager and smoking roll ups!

Good days!

OP Pekkie 21 Mar 2019
In reply to abr1966:

>> Get pumped and knackered after about 2 hours so we'd watch the proper climbers whilst drinking Skol lager and smoking roll ups! Good days!

Err...hope you took the empty bottles away with you...

Sandstonier 24 Mar 2019
In reply to steve taylor:

There's been considerable changes here since the 1980's. The threat of stone throwing youths remains but unfortunately a new threat has ben added.  The cycle track is a popular route for the  local Berghaus on bikes brigade as they ply their trade between the north and south ends of the city. As any of them are tooled up,  I would certainly think twice before climbing here.....or maybe just make sure that you're life insurance is kept up to date.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...