UKC

Wet winter bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bhealey 05 Jan 2014
Hi guys, looking for somewhere where I can get some easy routes done out doors come rain or shine. I'm down south near Milton Keynes but driving isn't a huge issue. I know about Harrison rocks but am wondering if there is anyone who knows of some good ares not too bad in the wet. I'm not very good at bouldering hence my limited knowledge on areas and wanting to do easier grades.

Cheers for the help.
Ben
 Jon Stewart 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Bhealey:

You can't go bouldering in the wet. It's that simple.

There are some venues that have hard problems that reputedly stay dry, but we're talking a handful of crap problems scattered across the country and after the amount of rain we've had even those will now be wet.

Wait 'til its dry.
 joe.91 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Well Tourniquet at Kentmere is permanently dry and is one of the best problems in the country and Jason's Roof probably also falls into that category. Not quite crap problems are they.
 Jon Stewart 05 Jan 2014
In reply to joe.91:
I take your point that if you're really into super-steep, super-hard bouldering, then among the tiny handful of problems that remain dry, there are two or more of high quality.

Doesn't really help the OP, does it?
Post edited at 17:50
 LakesWinter 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Bhealey:

A lot of peak gritstone dries off quickly. You want to look for a venue that is facing SW and in the SW/W wind. Even at this time of year wind and sun dry the edges very quickly. If there is not wind and sun after rain at the moment then forget it!

Southern Sandstone, including harrisons, needs a good dry spell first so you dont break the rock, recently wet sandstone can snap without warning - it become much more fragile./
 kwoods 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

If you are into super-steep, super-hard bouldering, then you can spend a whole winter getting laid into one problem. Satisfying.
Simos 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Bhealey:

I am near MK too and looking for exactly the same thing although I probably won't be able to go before Feb. Give me a shout if you wanted someone to go with, at the moment I just do indoor bouldering at Big Rock
 climber34neil 05 Jan 2014
In reply to Bhealey:

Forcast for the next few days for the peak is for dry weather so should be plenty to go at up here

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...