UKC

Why are some crags called "Crag X"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jamesk93 01 Apr 2017
So I've been to 2 or 3 crags now which are suffixed with "Crag X", for example "The Grotto (Crag X)" and "Gilwern Hill - Crag X"

Does anyone know what this actually means or if there is any reason/history behind the name?
 elliptic 01 Apr 2017
In reply to jamesk93:

Can't vouch for either of those specific places but it usually refers to somewhere developed in secret until all the routes have been done, to keep potential competitors off the scent. Maybe the name stuck..?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 02 Apr 2017
In reply to jamesk93:

Im not sue about those Crag Xs, but there's at least some crags where details are kept deliberately sparse because access is extremely sensitive (for ecological reasons I believe, so any significant traffic at the crag is likely to be detrimental).
In reply to jamesk93:

One of them get the name because you walk into the woods on the A6 by a clear way sign which is an 'X'
 Steve Clegg 02 Apr 2017
In reply to jamesk93:
Crag X was used to throw the competitors off the scent.
Les Brown used to tell folks that he was going to "Far East Buzzard crag".
Steve
 Mehmet Karatay 03 Apr 2017
In reply to jamesk93:

I believe Gogarth was initially referred to as Crag X. At the time lots of climbers were looking for a magical hidden crag. When Baz Ingle and Martin Boysen first discovered Gogarth, they referred to it as Crag X to stop others realising the importance of their find.

Mehmet
 DaveHK 03 Apr 2017
In reply to jamesk93:

It's often used to signify the 10th buttress along. Moving from left to right naturally.
 The Ivanator 03 Apr 2017
In reply to jamesk93:

'Cos we used to love them, but it's all over now

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...