UKC

wild camping spots near Glen Brittle beach and the base of The Cuillin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AntonSC 08 Aug 2022

Hello,

Going to Skye for my father-in-laws birthday at the weekend but taking the opportunity to get up early doors to do Sgurr Alasdair and the Collies ledge before we make a day of it. Looking for a place to wild camp quite near that area, for easiness in the morning, but refuse to pay for Glen Brittle Campsite due to the endless moaning you hear online of people complaining about talking at 11pm and touchy owners. Nothing worse than those Carol types taking over anything that can be slightly fun.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Happy for a wee stoat to spots

Cheers

In reply to AntonSC:

A quick glance at the 1:25k map suggests a path above the shore heading south from the campsite. Contours look favourable. Several large burns should be good for water supply.

OP AntonSC 08 Aug 2022
In reply to Deleated bagger:

Perfect! I will look further into that - worst off I might just get dropped off with a bivy and pray for the dry weather to hold up and head for Coire Lagan.

Thanks

midgen 08 Aug 2022
In reply to AntonSC:

There are loads of areas all around the the base of of the coires you could pitch.

Glen Brittle is the only campsite I'm happy to stay at, thankfully always quiet when I've been there so can get a good sleep before an early start, and those wanting to stay up late can do it considerately and go make a fire on the beach without bothering anyone else.

If you're not wanting campsite facilities, I'd just go up to Coire Lagan to the lochan and start there. 

OP AntonSC 08 Aug 2022
In reply to midgen:

That's what I'm thinking. Can you park a car overnight there? Or close by? Just in case I need keep a car close if they have went further north of the island.

Thanks

midgen 08 Aug 2022
In reply to AntonSC:

I would pay to leave the car at the campsite and have a hot shower waiting for when I came down personally. Glen Brittle has very little overnight parking and the whole area is under a lot of pressure in peak season. 

henwardian 08 Aug 2022
In reply to AntonSC:

Another vote for Coire Lagan. There are plenty of flat spots by the lochan and it's an idyllic spot. I'm pretty sure by the lochan in Coir a Ghrunnda would be very nice too but I don't remember how much flat grass there is to camp on there... it's a bit rockier.

I'd definitely suggest not camping anywhere close to the campsite (doesn't sound like this is what you would be doing anyway though).

Also second the parking issue, it's very limited in from of the campsite entrance and right now Skye is _BUSY_. I drove into Portree today and it felt like the middle of Edinburgh. There was a queue of traffic about a mile long waiting to get through the centre at one point. If you pick a location that isn't a known place to visit, you'll be fine but if you are trying to park somewhere popular then either arrive very early or pretty late.

Post edited at 22:54
 Michael Hood 08 Aug 2022
In reply to AntonSC:

> Going to Skye for my father-in-laws birthday at the weekend

You fail to mention whether this is with him or whether this is as far away as you can get 😁

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...